VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

• HadIt.com Elder

NOTE:

VHA Directive 2008-071.pdf

Department of Veterans Affairs

Veterans Health Administration

Washington, DC 20420

October 29, 2008

VHA DIRECTIVE 2008-071

PROVISION OF MEDICAL STATEMENTS AND COMPLETION OF FORMS BY VA HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS

1. PURPOSE: This Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Directive establishes policy requiring VHA health care providers, when requested, to assist veteran patients in completing non-Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) medical forms (with the exception of the completion of examination forms if a third party customarily pays health care practitioners for the examination, but does not pay VA) by providing the veteran patients with medical statements with respect to their medical condition(s) and functionality.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

In the past, I have had my VA doctors fill out short term disability papers.

Almost makes me wonder if this supercedes the other directive saying they are not supposed to write nexus statements...

In the past, I have had my VA doctors fill out short term disability papers.

Almost makes me wonder if this supercedes the other directive saying they are not supposed to write nexus statements...

Vync,

Do you have a link or know of someplace that (directive) states "they are not supposed to write nexus statements..." ?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Vync,

Do you have a link or know of someplace that (directive) states "they are not supposed to write nexus statements..." ?

Hey Carlie,

I'm probably having a stupid moment today and not reading this right. I was reading from the other day, but did not open the publication link. If I did, I would have realized it was from this very same directive.

My confusion revolves around , which addresses who can and cannot write statements supporting a VA claim. I interpret 'causality' to mean 'nexus'. It looks like the VA is saying they would be happy to help fill out non-VA paperwork. But when it comes to determining a nexus, VBA (C&P) can do this, but VHA docs are limited to documenting only the observed current medical status and functional limitations.

Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use