VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Family Doc Or Va Doc?

Rate this question

justrluk

Question

Can anyone help with this question? I'm already rated for Bipolar at 30% disorder and max for migraines (50%) due to head trauma. I was at my family Doctor's office for a check-up, and noticed that he had PTSD listed in my chart. I didn't ask him about it; wanted to check in here first. Is it worth claiming? Any suggestions?? Thanks!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

They wont give you comp for both the bi polar and the PTSD.

Unless he is psychologist or psychiatrist, his PTSD diagnosis is questionable.

Especially these days- under the new PTSD rules- even if your private doctor is Dr. Sigmund Freud and states you have PTSD but VA doctors wont diagnose you with PTSD - you vets don't have appellate rights to obtain an IMO from a real shrink.

That recent utterly unfair and unconscionable PTSD fiasco that VA started

is now being challenged in the courts.

• HadIt.com Elder

Like Berta said, they won't pay you compensation for more than one psychiatric disability. Having said that, if you feel that your PTSD symptoms (and you should talk with your family doctor, the one that has you down as having PTSD) are greater than/more serious than, your bi-polar, then yes file a claim for PTSD. The VA rates psychiatric disabilitys using the WORST of your psychiatric disabilitys...........so, if your PTSD would get you 50% as opposed to the 30% that you now have for your bi-polar, then claim the PTSD and let them sort it out. You will have to be diagnosed with PTSD by a VA-employed psychiatrist or board certified psychologist, as Berta has pointed out. And, as Berta has pointed out, there are terrible flaws in the VA's requirement which is being challenged. But, for the time being, we have to play by their rules.