VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange In Panama

Rate this question

stever

Question

I'm trying to help a friend of mine that was on a ship in Panama, in the 60's where they sprayed agent orange. If anyone has any info, about this event in panama, could you please reply back

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm trying to help a friend of mine that was on a ship in Panama, in the 60's where they sprayed agent orange. If anyone has any info, about this event in panama, could you please reply back

stever,

I have never seen anything at all in reference to AO spraying in Panama.

I was TDY to the Canal Zone in the summer of 1963 for 90 days after spending almost 3 years in Southeast Asia 1961-1963 in Vietnam and Okinawa. I saw what I believed were herbicides being sprayed while in the Canal Zone, but do not know exactly what they were. I have read a number of reports including a 6/14/05 CBC article (link pasted below) which talk about Agent Orange in Panama, but I have never been able to find any evidence. I have had a VA comp claim pending since August 2009 with no decision as yet. I should have filed a claim when I was diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer in 2005, but did not file a claim until long after I was diagnosed with hairy cell leukemia in early 2007, an incurable disease which is still active with me. I was TDY to Tan Son Nhut AB, Vietnam in 1962, not long after Operation Ranch Hand began and C-123s began spraying what was then Agent Purple, now known to be three times more toxic than Agent Orange which did not come into widespread use until 1965. I hope to get a decision on my comp claim while I'm still alive. The VA did send me for a C&P exam last November, but it was only for the prostate cancer residuals and did not address any of my other disorders such as hairy cell leukemia which I guess means they were satisfied with the tons of evidence I had already submitted.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/agentorange/defoliants.html

stever,

I have never seen anything at all in reference to AO spraying in Panama.

you will find the proof of ao in Panama here

38cfr-304 page 219-220

good luck

jim wallace

strawberry,

Please provide a link.

38 CFR 3.304 does not provide ANY proof of AO in Panama.

38 CFR does not even address chemical / herbicide or AO exposure.

If you are implying that the following (3.304) would support a contention

of "ao in Panama", it won't.

(d) Combat. Satisfactory lay or other evidence that an injury or disease was incurred or aggravated in combat will be accepted as sufficient proof of service connection if the evidence is consistent with the circumstances, conditions or hardships of such service even though there is no official record of such incurrence or aggravation.