VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vietnam Artillery Ptsd

Rate this question

emandg

Question

I was an artilleryman in Vietnam from '69 to '70. Besides the usual incoming and sapper probes, I was in an attack on an LZ that was hit by a regiment of NVA. In the end we had about 25 firendly KIA"s and buried over 100 of the NVA in a mass grave (after burning them with diesel of course). Thre seems to be a running thing that 11b's are the only ones that saw comabat in the 'nam. Hats off to them, I respect them no end. We artillerymen were in the fight also and did not get any recognition unless we were lucky enough to be liked by the NCO's and got a ARCOM or Bronze Star...or unlucky enough to be hit. I guess that's why people looked at me and said B.S. when I got back and told them about that night and others. I kept it stuffed for 40 years and am now seeking help for it.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

you will probably need the daily unit reports or any after action reports from that day to substantiate your claim there are a lot of people that have SC PTSD that are not 11B they even grant it to veterans that were involved in non combat stressor incidents hard to believe but they do it all the time you just need evidence that it happened

• HadIt.com Elder

emandg - welcome! I was an 11B and I respect anyone who served . . . period. To the 11B's who claim to have been in it 24/7, I say BS!!! Most were routine boring patrols, interlaced with moments of shear terror. I know some FB's had it worse than us, sometimes, and some had it easy, especially when on R&R, but for most the bases were hit once in a while. Anyway, welcome and good luck w/your claim!!

pr

I was an artilleryman in Vietnam from '69 to '70. Besides the usual incoming and sapper probes, I was in an attack on an LZ that was hit by a regiment of NVA. In the end we had about 25 firendly KIA"s and buried over 100 of the NVA in a mass grave (after burning them with diesel of course). Thre seems to be a running thing that 11b's are the only ones that saw comabat in the 'nam. Hats off to them, I respect them no end. We artillerymen were in the fight also and did not get any recognition unless we were lucky enough to be liked by the NCO's and got a ARCOM or Bronze Star...or unlucky enough to be hit. I guess that's why people looked at me and said B.S. when I got back and told them about that night and others. I kept it stuffed for 40 years and am now seeking help for it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit. The VA is making it easier to be connected to PTSD and Hadit can help you flesh out a claim that should help. The main thing is that you earned your benefits by your service.

• HadIt.com Elder

I spent some time at a fire support base with 155's and 105's firing all day and night. That was enough to give me a case of nerves. Anybody shooting those guns must have hearing problems now. If there is any record of this attack and you can produce it you should be OK. Can you get statements from buddies?

Welcome Emandg. You will find a lot of helpful information here.

I was in Vietnam in '70-'71, serving as a FO during my first 8 months there. I have a pretty good understanding of what you went thru and I understand about the lack of recognition. My first 5 months there were fairly uneventful but then it was like a dam broke with 3 consecutive traumatic experiences that changed my life. I waited until 2007 to seek any help with my problems. It's good to read that you are seeking the help that you deserved to have long ago.

Welcome to Hadit and Thank You for your service!!

Edited by chr49

Guest terrysturgis

emandg, welome aboard. I was with HHB 108th Arty 69-70. I was at Khe Sanh when the 175 kocked over the mess tent firing point blank. I was the guy who helped calibrate Arty at all the fire bases on or near the DMZ. Bad thing about Fire Bases is that they seldom moved so seemed as if we were alyways playing defense. The other guys were pretty good at zeroing in their rockets and RPG's. I remember that in Dong Ha after a rocket hit in the perimeter a siren would be sounded. If we waited for the siren, too late. Didn't make sense to me unless you wanted to let Charlie know he did good.

Anyhow, I never did file for PTSD. Up until not long ago it was a difficult road for me to go, sooo.. I had an Agent Orange exam at my VMAC and filed claims for the other things that are presumptive diseases. Diabetes, PN, high blood pressure and hearing loss with tinnitus. As you can see, I am 100% P&T.

Once again, I'm glad you are here and let's get to work getting the benefits to which you are entitled. Terry