VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vietnam Artillery Ptsd

Rate this question

emandg

Question

I was an artilleryman in Vietnam from '69 to '70. Besides the usual incoming and sapper probes, I was in an attack on an LZ that was hit by a regiment of NVA. In the end we had about 25 firendly KIA"s and buried over 100 of the NVA in a mass grave (after burning them with diesel of course). Thre seems to be a running thing that 11b's are the only ones that saw comabat in the 'nam. Hats off to them, I respect them no end. We artillerymen were in the fight also and did not get any recognition unless we were lucky enough to be liked by the NCO's and got a ARCOM or Bronze Star...or unlucky enough to be hit. I guess that's why people looked at me and said B.S. when I got back and told them about that night and others. I kept it stuffed for 40 years and am now seeking help for it.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

[

The Army did not have anything except the CIB to indicate you had been in combat, unless of course you got a personal decoration. I'm sure there are thousands who saw the sh.. but can only rely on their memoriess an any after action reports/ orders/ buddy letters to connect the dots...oh well- like we said before, life is a b... and then you die.

it might not be the SOB's fault regarding the CAR.

SMC didnt start to even award CARs until 1969. If you file a DD 149 they might put one on a DD 215 for you. Here is the criteria:

http://www.leatherne....php/t-506.html

Here is the DD 149:

you could cross out the injustice part and just state you feel your Military records warrant receipt of the CAR.

I ave been meaning to apply fopr this posthumous CAR for my husband but hesitate to do that until my claims are resolved in case they need his whole Mil file.

He was USMC Vietnam 65-66,prior to CAR Ribbons were awarded. (Ist AMphibious Tracter Battalion Danang)

I just want to thank everyone for their input. I got my rating back at 30% S/C PTSD. I have filed for CRSC and also put uin a NOD to try to get it increased. God Bless all of you, you have been a great help.

That is GREAT!

• HadIt.com Elder

emandg - it's me again. Just please, be sure, when you file the NOD that you not use the word "increase," as the VA will probably make a new claim, then. You should be sure to state that you disagree with the 30% awarded and you are requesting the maximum allowed by law. jmo

pr

I just want to thank everyone for their input. I got my rating back at 30% S/C PTSD. I have filed for CRSC and also put uin a NOD to try to get it increased. God Bless all of you, you have been a great help.

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to HADIT. Many of us were not in combat & getting shot at every day. I was a 99128 Instructor in an Armed Forces Language School in Cholon. I have been S/C for PTSD for more than 20 years. Got 10% first time I applied. After 11 hospitalizations for PTSD, Cancer, IHD etc I've about forgotten that I was not in the war. The VA never asked me the second time about my stressor. When my claim was submitted I missed the exact time of my stressor by two minutes so guess they figured I remembered for some reason.

Good luck,

Don

• HadIt.com Elder

To the best of my knowledge, the CR, or CAR as it's now called, was awarded to Navy units as well as individuals well before 1969.

In late 1967, I was "up the river" as part of Task Force 117. (River Rats) TF 117 (all units) was awarded the (then) Combat Ribbon, now CAR.

The original awards used "Combat Ribbon", not Combat Action Ribbon, and stated that the award was for actions under combat conditions, including hostile fire.

The combat action referred to in the award was in part for loading helicopters with ammunition and other supplies as fast as humanly possible, under conditions that

likely broke about every safety rule there was. It's no fun to have hundreds of tons of ammunition on board, getting it to the users, and having to worry about getting shot at while you are

literally throwing ammunition on helicopters with a fork lift as soon as they hit the deck and the rotor mostly stops turning. The only real slowdown was when the helicopter needed fuel.

My DD 215 shows this award, although the original DD214 issued in 1968 did not. (It also did not show several other Vietnam related awards for that matter.)

The existence of that award opens up a possible CUE on a claim, as the VA did not give "due consideration" to certain evidence as they are required to by law. (So what else is new!)

Edited by Chuck75