VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gulf War Veterans Medical Alert: Inflammatory Bowel Diseases Increase Risk Of Blood Clots

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yea pete,

I'm a newcomer to the site and to the retired community. I have just retired from the Navy in 2010. I have been troubled with Diverticulitis for about 14 of the 20 yrs . I had surgery which COLON RESECTION was performed, chronic appendicitis so appendix take and jejuna coloenteric fistula, what ever that is but I also have midline incision with about 35 staples. I really thought I would get a certain rating but the VA gave me a 0% rating and I was wondering eventhough the diverticulitis is gone, I now been assessed with IBS or on my last C and P it stated Inflammatory Bowel Disease and told I had it all alone. I really wanted to know could I place a claim DC 7329 for resection of the colon since that's what operation I had and also claim for the IBS which i think is the inflammatory bowel disease stated. Thanks for listening

Edited by logicc3

I'm a bit confused ... you wrote: ... I now been assessed with IBS or on my last C and P.. When was this C&PE? Was it part of the initial post-retirement evaluation, or was this C&PE done fairly recently?

For my own edification (though it won't really change anything), how did the C&P examiner determine that you had IBS versus diverticulosis/diverticulitis? Did the examiner have access to the pathology report (note: generally, in-patient hospital records are not contained within your Service Medical Records, which are generally out-patient treatment records).

I really wanted to know could I place a claim DC 7329 for resection of the colon since that's what operation I had and also claim for the IBS which i think is the inflammatory bowel disease stated. Well, you can, but ... Under 38 CFR 4.113 http://www.benefits....ART4/S4_112.DOC and the opening paragraph of 38 CFR 4.114 http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/docs/regs/38CFR/BOOKC/PART4/S4_114.DOC essentially limits you to only one evaluation for most digestive system problems.

If you do file a claim for post-op bowel resection or for IBS, it will be construed as a claim for increase of your current problem.

Thanks for listening You're welcome.

Yea pete,

I'm a newcomer to the site and to the retired community. I have just retired from the Navy in 2010. I have been troubled with Diverticulitis for about 14 of the 20 yrs . I had surgery which COLON RESECTION was performed, chronic appendicitis so appendix take and jejuna coloenteric fistula, what ever that is but I also have midline incision with about 35 staples. I really thought I would get a certain rating but the VA gave me a 0% rating and I was wondering eventhough the diverticulitis is gone, I now been assessed with IBS or on my last C and P it stated Inflammatory Bowel Disease and told I had it all alone. I really wanted to know could I place a claim DC 7329 for resection of the colon since that's what operation I had and also claim for the IBS which i think is the inflammatory bowel disease stated. Thanks for listening

jvretiredvet,

This is what actually happen. I had diverticulitis since 2001, and in 2005 I had the colon resection to removed the diverticulitis. I still have the symptoms as we speak but have been diagnosis with inflammatory bowel disease which states 2005. My last visit to the VA gastro which was in April 2012, was stated that I have always had IBS. My latest c and p which was may 24 2012, states that diagnosis is inflammatory bowel diease, Im assuming its the same as IBS. I was asking since i had the colon resection done , i was wondering could I file a claim for that because my original rating is 0% and its for colon resection , with recurrent diverticulitis.

Well, as I noted in my earlier response, you can file a claim for IBS. Based solely on what you wrote and without review of your file, I'd say that s/c would not be inappropriate.

However, as I also noted, you would not receive s/c as a separate item. That is, if IBS were granted, it would be added as a narrative to your existing service connected digestive system condition. Then, any evaluation would be based on the composite of the symptoms.

jvretiredvet,

This is what actually happen. I had diverticulitis since 2001, and in 2005 I had the colon resection to removed the diverticulitis. I still have the symptoms as we speak but have been diagnosis with inflammatory bowel disease which states 2005. My last visit to the VA gastro which was in April 2012, was stated that I have always had IBS. My latest c and p which was may 24 2012, states that diagnosis is inflammatory bowel diease, Im assuming its the same as IBS. I was asking since i had the colon resection done , i was wondering could I file a claim for that because my original rating is 0% and its for colon resection , with recurrent diverticulitis.

jvretiredvet,

Thanks for the good information you have given me. I'm a newcomer wth this VA thing and I understand now that I have to treat it like college, staying up on regulations and reading everyday,lol. Anyways, I will surly inform you of the outcome, just waiting now for the rating from the C and P for :

AC arthrosis shoulder increase

right shoulder partial ligament torn

Degenerative Arthritis both knees

Inflammatory bowel disease

next will be my

right ankle

left hip

Thanks for replying in a tminly manner and I hope all is well for you .