VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question

Rate this question

dogface

Question

I was wondering about how open to be with the VA psychiatrist. I know it sounds stupid but this stuff goes in my file for outsiders to see. If a person goes in and says things like they are having bad thoughts about suicide or violence do they get committed?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You don't have to lie nor should you but you also don't have to tell the shrink things unless you trust them. My shrink has earned my trust and I don't hold back.

If you present to a Doc at the VA and show that you have plans to hurt yourself or others you will probably get locked up. If you feel that way you need help. So its sort of a sticky wicket but I think most here would agree that you won't get better if you don't work on the issues in the first place.

A really good thing about Hadit is you can tell things on this Board and for the most part get some honest answers

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

If you are not comfortable with a particular provider, you can request another one. In some cases, people may be more comfortable talking to a man or a woman.

I know it sounds stupid but this stuff goes in my file for outsiders to see. If a person goes in and says things like they are having bad thoughts about suicide or violence do they get committed?

dogface,

HIPPA laws should prevent outsider's (except for the ones you sign a ROI to) from knowing

your medical information.

If you have active thoughts and a plan for suicide or doing violence towards other's

and you share this with a medical/mental health care professional, they are bound by law

to take some type of action - and to be honest - wouldn't you want someone to ?

Passive thoughts of these two issues are quite normal for those of us with MH issues.

When you start having some actual plans going, it really is best for someone to step in.

Always keep in mind that suicide is a permanent solution, to a temporary problem.