VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc Rehab Today...

Rate this question

rpowell01

Question

I had an appointment today with Vocational Rehab. The good news is the counselor stated that I do not need to be working in the position that I am in because it is aggravating my SC'd to the extreme, actually to the point that I went from Cervical Spine Pain in the Army to now a herniated disc causing left foraminal stenosis. She stated about paying for my Education and paying me substance allowans. My question is this to those who know or who have been through this. How do you survive financially doing this with a family of 4 if I have to go to school full time and not able to work at the same time because of the stressors? Just curious and would like some guidance into this. Thanks in advance...

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"Anybody know a good college online?"

You might have made a decision already but AMU offers PLENTY!

American Military University.

http://www.amu.apus.edu/index.htm

I am a proud graduate! And was student when they became Regionally accredited- which as you know- is the BIG plus.

I was second civilian enrollment and almost all professors and all of my classmates were active military.Their civilian and veteran enrollment has grown I am sure.

Please check us out.

I was under Chapter 35 and tied in right away with AMUs VA counselor.Also the Marine Corps Association will most probably give you a book grant if you attend AMU

That saved me considerable money as some texts I needed were very pricy.

Then again Voc Rehab should cover your text books.

I was able to transfer most of my prior credits over to AMU for my degree.

Having been both on traditional campus as well as online college- I would say that on line college ,while it has it's benefits- can be VERY hard work.

Also many of my online exams had to be proctored.

And my PC had to be up to snuff and full compatible with AMUs requirements.

You learn how to be protective of your time too as being in college on line, to some people, can easily be interrupted for phone calls and unexpected company-

but it cant.

Good luck- whatever school you pick will be a great experience for you -I am sure.

I was not aware the Marine Corps Association could assist with books. Thanks for the one up.

"Anybody know a good college online?"

You might have made a decision already but AMU offers PLENTY!

American Military University.

http://www.amu.apus.edu/index.htm

I am a proud graduate! And was student when they became Regionally accredited- which as you know- is the BIG plus.

I was second civilian enrollment and almost all professors and all of my classmates were active military.Their civilian and veteran enrollment has grown I am sure.

Please check us out.

I was under Chapter 35 and tied in right away with AMUs VA counselor.Also the Marine Corps Association will most probably give you a book grant if you attend AMU

That saved me considerable money as some texts I needed were very pricy.

Then again Voc Rehab should cover your text books.

I was able to transfer most of my prior credits over to AMU for my degree.

Having been both on traditional campus as well as online college- I would say that on line college ,while it has it's benefits- can be VERY hard work.

Also many of my online exams had to be proctored.

And my PC had to be up to snuff and full compatible with AMUs requirements.

You learn how to be protective of your time too as being in college on line, to some people, can easily be interrupted for phone calls and unexpected company-

but it cant.

Good luck- whatever school you pick will be a great experience for you -I am sure.

Yes -all AMU books are paid for by a book grant.

I assume the grants all come from MCA.

But I could be wrong-maybe there are other Military organizations that pay the book grant at AMU too.

With my MCA membership for the grant I also received Marine Corps Gazette magazine for the entire time I was at AMU and have continued to subscribe to it.

A few homework assignments I had depended on reading articles in current Marine Corp Gazette mags as to battle decisions, war games, leadership, and tactical warfare articles etc that I had to analyze.

Berta, wow and the credit hours are cheaper.....HMMMM I might have to rethink this over....

The VA Counselor told me that she had 2 students in school right now getting their Information Technology degrees but they are having trouble. She said they got into something they didn't know anything about and it is hard on them. Myself I have 7 years, 5 days a weeks, 40 hours a week hands on experience in the field. I did everything from Networking, to Network Configuration to IP Phone configuration to designing the GUI/front end of a database, server administration and management to building a PC...You name it I did it because of the position I was in.....The counselor stated to me today that it will be easier for me. Even at the college I went to in 2002 for Cisco Networking for one year, 5 days a week, 6 hour days it was online. Only had a few labs but over all everything was online. So I am hoping the online will be the same. I am not worried about the phone. I use one phone (cell) and my spouse keeps it with her. Yes it will be a change for me but I think after what I have been through the last 2 years from my IT position getting cut to now having a herniated disc in my neck, I do have the motivation to do it....

BTW the VA pays up to $25,000 a year which includes tuition, books and anything I need for my classes. I am not worried about a PC. I actually have 3 of them in my house. If the one I am using breaks down mechanically, I have a back up right next it....I build my own PCs to my specs and believe me my specs are high....

Thanks for the info I will look into AMU...

This all sounds great -

I ended up getting satellite PC dish and new PC a few months after I started at AMU-

the stress of being rural and depending on old phone lines under the roads that are affected by weather here made dial up too much to deal with for college.

I meant by phone-not land line PC access, just phone calls from friends and family that can interfere with concentration on line=particularly if you are taking a test or exam via the PC and these are often timed.

AMU probably might still require taking an RQ course first. I took this course in 2004 I think and this initial requirement might have changed.

It is a course that prepares an online student for the proper submission format and hones in on basic skills in English.

It sounds to me as though you could probably TEACH this course.Your past college and experience etc might exempt you from the RQ course but best to check with AMU on that.

It will show up in the course descriptions if it is still a requirement.

I loved every minute of AMU.My favorite prof, Major Gudmundson USMC, still stares at me every day.His faculty photo is on my PC desk and his demeanor seems to say to me Take the Hill and Never give it back.

That photo and many of his warfare courses inspired me to succeed in my claims.

Us claimants are basically in a War of the words.Evidence is our best ammo.

What in the world is this dial up you mentioned, must have been before my time :tongue: j/k....:>)