VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Or Depression

Rate this question

bigoc

Question

I am suffering from PTSD or Depression or both. I am currently getting back into treatment for whatever it is. I am also looking to file a claim as I have not done so yet. I am rated 40% for TBI which may be a factor.

Anyway, my question is should I file for one or the other or both?

Also I am currently working but think I easily fit the 50% rating. I am at the very least trying to just get SC.

A neuro-psych exam that was completed has a finding for both PTSD and Depression. Should this help my case. I understand GAF results are a big factor as well.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

it doesn't matter how many different mental health diagnosis they give you they then sort out which one is the most severe and the SC percentage is based on that issue myself I was diagnosed with PTSD and OCD I was rated at 100% for the PTSD and they treat me for the OCD but there is no compensation for it they call it pyramiding and they don't allow it if you have it in your records that you were treated for depression while you were in service then file for depression if you weren't and you have a good stressor and can verify your PTSD stressor easily then file for PTSD but I would not file for both of them why complicate the claim harder than it has to be

From what I understand, they will give you a rating of PTSD with signs of Depression. That's how they rated me. I was told I have severe anxiety, depression, and PTSD, but it's all rolled into the PTSD rating. Good luck!

As long as PTSD is your primary diagnoses for mental health depression will be a major factor in how they rate your PTSD. Lets say you have asthma. The VA should factor that in with your PTSD IF you are diagnosed with anxiety as well.

• HadIt.com Elder

Most who have PTSD also have depression. Its called a co-morbid condition.

Thank you for your comments. I will file for PTSD.

Another question I have about continued treatment. I am going to continue seeking help through a VA councilor regardless of how the claim proceeds. However, can treatment have a supporting role in a claim for PTSD?

I have been off and on with going to a councilor. I was wonder how much if any this can effect a claim both in favor of or against in the case of not continuing to seek help?

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes. Treatment is an important factor in getting the highest rating possible. Treatment documents your PTSD symptoms and the severity of your PTSD.