VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Tax Relief For Disabled Veterans

• HadIt.com Elder

My home in Texas taxes would cost over 10,000 with no exemptions. Prior to the 100% most of my taxes were frozen on disability exemption and I was paying about 3300. The 100% exemption has worked for two years and I paid zero taxes.

I cannot tell you how grateful I am for this cause believe it or not Mrs Pete and I decided that with this exemption we will stay in our house till the end. The exemption will carry to her if I pass as long as she stays in the House.

Texas has always been a pro Veteran State and I have never seen a time when an Amendment to help Veterans or fund a program was not carried by voters at the highest level usually around 90% voting for Veterans.

Texas State Senator John Carona carried the ball on the exemption but many of our VSO's and other Military Organizations helped get it done.

In my heart I think property taxes are very unfair and even if you live in a rental property you are still paying taxes cause the landlords figure the expense in the rent.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just got a nice escrow refund check from Wells Fargo, and of course a new lower mortgage payment. I am also in Texas and the county apprasial district office was extremely helpful to us getting that exemption. We hope this generous law is never repealed!

• 2 weeks later...

Well Wells Fargo seems to be working with you better than here in Virginia!!

I have been told by them that no refund until they get the letter from the state even though I have sent them everything including the law and my VA letter!!

The state says they will not have the letter ready until the end of April or the first part of MAY. I have refused to send them another full payment and send them just the PI and they keep the funds but do not put it toward my account!!

There is now a problem with IU vets. The law is being used at some localities to deny their tax exemption in Virginia if the vet is like 70% rated and being paid at the 100% IU rate. This is going to be a mess for some vets.

When it was passed there was a impact statement as to how this would effect counties and it was published that there were only 7,500 veterans that met the criteria now no one knows if this includes the IU vets or not!! Some commissioners are disallowing the benefits!

The RO in Roanoke got into the mix and is not sedning out new award letters to clear this up. I just got mine and there is an additional page that lists VA BENEfIT DETAILS

IT states: IU=

veteran is receiving payment at the 100% rate, even though the combined service onnected evaluation is not 100%. The Veterans service connected conditions ause him/her to be unable to be able obtain or maintain substantially gainfulemployment because of the veteran's service-onnected conditions. These veterans must perodically certify continued unemployability, but if there is no scheduled future reduction or medical examination required, they maybe considered by some states to be permanent and totally disabled.

This is going to be interesting to see how this plays out and I think it will end up in court!!

Edited by stillhere

just had round one with my county. I thought the VA was inept, but my local gov't is giving them a run for the money. 80% but letter clearly states that I am being paid IU, and that it is permanent and total. Not sure what else I can do.