VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu 100% And Other Benefits

Rate this question

westcoastlv

Question

Hi,

Just wanted to see if anyone has an answer to this question. If a vet is SC'd at say 60% or above, (not 100%) at get's TDIU, they get paid 100% dollars, right? But does that also mean that they can take advantage of the other benefits that only come along with 100% such as the Champva for family, dental, home mortgage insurance, etc?

And, can anyone explain how you can be SC'd lower than 100% and have TDIU granted? More specifically of a mental nature. If you have PTSD rated at only 70%, but that 70% is so bad that you can't work, why would you be 100%?

Thanks anyone for input.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, if you are TDIU you get 100% rate of pay. You can only get ChampVA, Chapter 35 educational benefits for spouse/children and waivered life ins premium, if you are P&T. I know of no dental for family.

pr

Hi,

Just wanted to see if anyone has an answer to this question. If a vet is SC'd at say 60% or above, (not 100%) at get's TDIU, they get paid 100% dollars, right? But does that also mean that they can take advantage of the other benefits that only come along with 100% such as the Champva for family, dental, home mortgage insurance, etc?

And, can anyone explain how you can be SC'd lower than 100% and have TDIU granted? More specifically of a mental nature. If you have PTSD rated at only 70%, but that 70% is so bad that you can't work, why would you be 100%?

Thanks anyone for input.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi,

Thanks anyone for input.

TDIU stands for "Total Disability due to Individual UNemployabilty", which means that, even though you may not be rated, on the schedule of percentage of disability ratings, at 100% disabled, but, that your particular disability(ies) render you UNemployable, then you are qualified to receive the same disability payments that are made to other veterans whose disabilty(ies) alone cause them to be 100% disabled. And, yes, if you are TDIU, then you are treated the same, vis a vis benefits, as a 100% disabled veteran.

I think that this explanation also covers the last question that you asked. Remember, the entire TDIU rating hinges upon the "individual UNemployability" designation.

I was told that 70% paying at100% IU was the same as 70% paying at 100% TDIU ON this forum by an elder. Still need the PT stamp to be permanent and total----- A' m I wrong ??????

I was told that 70% paying at100% IU was the same as 70% paying at 100% TDIU ON this forum by an elder. Still need the PT stamp to be permanent and total----- A' m I wrong ??????

The same. TDIU/IU are used for the same meaning. See Jim Strickland's new site at: vawatchdogtoday.org

It contains a nice explanation concerning the above.

" See Jim Strickland's new site at: vawatchdogtoday.org

It contains a nice explanation concerning the above. "

Thanks for posting this!

I have a question, though.... I came to this statement, and I'm not sure what it means:

Veterans receiving IU benefits are subject to VA's annual income verification match (IVM). The IVM uses Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and Social Security Administration (SSA) income records to verify that IU beneficiaries remain below the earnings threshold for entitlement to IU benefits.

Is there a household income limit for TDIU recipients? Or is this for the individual?

Also, do TDIU veterans who have been designated P&T still have to file the 4140?

I'm sorry if I'm being a dense cat here, but confusion is part of why I'm IU in the first place...

Thanks for any clarification.