VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is Dic Automatic If You Are T&p

red

Question

Can anyone fill me in on DIC. I am 100% service connected T&P. If I die does my widow receive DIC or does it have to be connected to the service connected portion of my disability. Also, since she has had a stroke and would not be able to handle phone calls, paper work, etc., what is the process that should be taken to get it started. And does anyone know what she would receive? I an not dying right now and hope I have a long life to take care of her, but who knows? I would have someone call the right people if this was needed. She would need the money for someone to take care of her. If somebody could give me the steps I need to take care of, i would place them in a death folder that I am making up, just in case. I have also got to hire a lawyer or someone to do a revocable trust to spell everything out. I understand this is very expensive. Had anyone here done that? Thanks again Hadit for all the help. Red

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Unfortunately they will drag it out. Maybe you could talk to a VA Councilor and find out if there is a way to speed things up?

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, she should receive it but she has to apply for it when you die. Teach her what she needs to know now. Others know how to do it since they are getting DIC.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta is one of our "resident experts" when it comes to DIC. Maybe she'll drop by and help you out with the answers to your questions.

• HadIt.com Elder

Red - the rates are currently $1154 basic, $246 additional if vet was disabled for the 8 yrs prior to death and married to the spouse those 8 yrs, and another $286, if she gets A&A.

You can find the forms for a revokable trust at SUZEORMAN.COM for free. I did mine thru a local lawyer, in VT, and it ran about $1600-$1700, but that included changing the registrations to my vehicles, which I could have done myself and maybe saved $100 but to me it was worth it.

pr