VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Could These Conditions Be Caused By Ao Exposure?

Rate this question

Vync

Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Does anyone know if these conditions could be linked to AO exposure from service in Vietnam?

Background

The Veteran is 65 years old, is not overweight, does not have a family history of cancer, mental illness, heart problems, urinary of gastrointestinal issues. The Veteran is reluctant to go to the doctor, but upon returning insists there is nothing wrong or lab results came back normal. The Veteran avoids talking about the year spent in Vietnam, but admits to being stressed by the sounds of certain vehicles.

Issues

Veteran is losing ability to remember how to get to frequently visited places in town where they lived for 10+ years. Veteran gets going to work several days in a row.

Veteran's short term memory has became worse, like forgetting to take the trash can to the road or check the mailbox. Veteran's long term memory is sketchy, can remember some details from decades ago, but completely forgets big details, like a week long vacation to the Grand Canyon.

Veteran unknowingly locks self out of the house.

Veteran eats a meal or drinks a beverage (non-alcoholic), but must hurry to the restroom, usually spending 10-15 minutes in there.

I checked the Hadit AO page and some of the mentioned effects are present in the list, but the VA AO conditions page lists conditions instead of symptoms or effects.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Right, perhaps the vet has DMII since this can cause all sorts of problems if suger is too high or too low. DMII is the disease that keeps on giving.

• HadIt.com Elder

Assuming the veteran is male, there is a strong possibility of prostate problems, at least an enlarged prostate. Alzheimer's may be present. The prostate problems MAY or MAY NOT fall under A.O. presumptive conditions, depending on what is actually diagnosed.

Forgetfulness can also be a result of Diabetes and or Carotid Artery disease to name just two of the possible causes. In other words, a visit to a doctor and a comprehensive medical exam is required.

The good news is that the Veteran can request an A.O. exam from the VA and get it at no charge.

The bad news is that the Veteran's attitude, etc. may prevent this from happening.

Prostate problems, Carotid problems, IHD, Diabetes, etc. are fairly common at some level in men over fifty five or so, regardless of A.O. exposure.

It's also possible that PTSD is present at some level.

This is not to be taken as medical advice or diagnosis. It is a layman's personal opinion only.

I work with a vietnam veteran that when I told him about my condition. He acted like it was not true, and he still that way to day.He hates vietnam people and other's like that. I think thats wrong and he does understand. HATE is a terrible thing!!!! But we as veteran's should help other's!

Hello, You have some excellant help and answers from some other fellow Hadit members and I would certainly consider what they are saying. The Presumptives list is growing and the recently added, IHD, B cell Leukemias, Parkinsons could be looked at also.

I will tell you that if he is being treated form Peripheral Neuropathy which is caused by AO and may be secondary to DMII , the VA likes to try the Neurontin or Gabapentin Meds for treatment of the PN. It can cause huge problems and did for me. Many of the problems you are sharing also happened to me. I had to quit taking it and know many other Vets that it also messed up. It can be dangerous so please check into that for your Vets safety.

It also sounds like his PTSD has given him some real challenges and needs to have some Professional coverage and monitored at the least, again for his safety and maybe others around him. Hope all works out Vync . Thank you for trying to help another Vet and remember ....NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Hello, You have some excellant help and answers from some other fellow Hadit members and I would certainly consider what they are saying. The Presumptives list is growing and the recently added, IHD, B cell Leukemias, Parkinsons could be looked at also.

I will tell you that if he is being treated form Peripheral Neuropathy which is caused by AO and may be secondary to DMII , the VA likes to try the Neurontin or Gabapentin Meds for treatment of the PN. It can cause huge problems and did for me. Many of the problems you are sharing also happened to me. I had to quit taking it and know many other Vets that it also messed up. It can be dangerous so please check into that for your Vets safety.

It also sounds like his PTSD has given him some real challenges and needs to have some Professional coverage and monitored at the least, again for his safety and maybe others around him. Hope all works out Vync . Thank you for trying to help another Vet and remember ....NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Capt. Contaminate, I'm on the Gabapentin and taking about 1200 mg aday and the Doc's want to increase it to 1800mg. I'm not liking how I feel and what kind of problem's did you have? I feel like it is messing with me.