VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Could These Conditions Be Caused By Ao Exposure?

Rate this question

Vync

Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Does anyone know if these conditions could be linked to AO exposure from service in Vietnam?

Background

The Veteran is 65 years old, is not overweight, does not have a family history of cancer, mental illness, heart problems, urinary of gastrointestinal issues. The Veteran is reluctant to go to the doctor, but upon returning insists there is nothing wrong or lab results came back normal. The Veteran avoids talking about the year spent in Vietnam, but admits to being stressed by the sounds of certain vehicles.

Issues

Veteran is losing ability to remember how to get to frequently visited places in town where they lived for 10+ years. Veteran gets going to work several days in a row.

Veteran's short term memory has became worse, like forgetting to take the trash can to the road or check the mailbox. Veteran's long term memory is sketchy, can remember some details from decades ago, but completely forgets big details, like a week long vacation to the Grand Canyon.

Veteran unknowingly locks self out of the house.

Veteran eats a meal or drinks a beverage (non-alcoholic), but must hurry to the restroom, usually spending 10-15 minutes in there.

I checked the Hadit AO page and some of the mentioned effects are present in the list, but the VA AO conditions page lists conditions instead of symptoms or effects.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

SP4,

I was on gabba for a while and it messed with me. I went to a pvt neurologist and he RXed Topamax. For me it works great. No side effects and it controls the pain of severe neuropathy of both upper and lower extremeties.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I appreciate the advice and recommendations. Still trying to figure out how to approach this without upsetting the veteran.

SP4,

I was on gabba for a while and it messed with me. I went to a pvt neurologist and he RXed Topamax. For me it works great. No side effects and it controls the pain of severe neuropathy of both upper and lower extremeties.

I just went to pvt neurologist today and I told him about my problem with the gabapentin. He is slowly removing me from it and try something else. I will ask him about Topamax, Thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

You know if you are a Vietnam vet the chances are good you will die from AO related illness even if the illness is not on the list as of today. Next year it might be or ten years from now just like IHD. File! I am waiting for all cancers to end up on the list. I mean if it causes lung, prostate and many others why not all one day? File for the sake of your spouse.