VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Annual Income / Work Verification

Rate this question

Spent warrior

Question

I have not worked since Dec 29th 2010. I filed for TDIU in January. I am using sick leave, so I am still "on the rolls" but am sure I will not work again. Everything seems to be rolling along with the TDIU claim. I had my C&P exam last week. (already at 70%PTSD, diabetes, and leg wound for a total of 80%). My employer is pushing people to retire and they just offered $20K to retire by May 31st. Since there is no way I will work again, I might as well quit using my sick leave and retire.

The incentive to leave is $10K in November of 2011 and $10K in Nov 2012. I was told it would be reported on line 7 on IRS 1040 "Wages and Salaries". That doesn't make sense to me..because I won't be an employee come May 31.. so how would I have wages, or a salary?

I feel that might be a problem when the VA looks at the year and asks if I "worked" or not. If the money from them is reported by them as "wages and salary" does that put me in trouble with the VA?

Is the form they use to check on any employment after receiving TDIU available for us to see? I wonder what the exact questions are that it asks of us or our employers.

I sure would appreciate your thoughts on my predicament and also regarding the availability of the form for us to review

Thank you

SpentWarrior

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I guess I am surprised there were no replies to my question. Perhaps I was too wordy? the primary question is:

"Is the form they use to check on any employment after receiving TDIU available for us to see? I wonder what the exact questions are that it asks of us or our employers. "

• HadIt.com Elder

You are going to need a doctor's statement that you are retiring due to your service connected disability since you are not retiring on disability but early retirement to get a bonus.

Thank you very very much. The links were extreemly helpful. I have not worked since December 29th, I have been on continuos sick leave due to my SC disability.

My VA psycologist has been extreemly supportive, completing my FMLA and providing "can't work" letters to my employer after my FMLA ran out. I feel my recent C&P went well also.

But.... I still sit on pins and needles. I am in horrible financial condition.... and much of it is due to my inability to handle matters well due to my condition. I really need the increase to survive.

Thanks again for being here.

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">I'm pretty sure this is only for pension but it might

be worth checking out.

it has instructions and is printable.

GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS

FOR INCOME-NET WORTH AND EMPLOYMENT STATEMENT

VA FORM 21-527

INCOME-NET WORTH AND EMPLOYMENT STATEMENT

VA FORM 21-527

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-527-ARE.pdf