VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can You File Increase With An Appeal In Process?

Rate this question

ATVer

Question

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Is it possible to file an increase with an appeal in process?

My thoughts: if the appeal is for a claim denied (no service connection established), then filing for an increase is mute. No rating for a condition = nothing to increase. If the conditions are separately rated, not a problem. I was told by my VSO that because appeals take so long, it's not an issue to file the claim and have the decision before the appeal ever sees movement. My VSO also told me that once the appeal moves out of the VARO, other claims stop as your file goes with the appeal and the raters have no access to it. Others may chime in with references to the CFR, and again, this is only my opinion and what I've been told.

"My VSO also told me that once the appeal moves out of the VARO, other claims stop as your file goes with the appeal and the raters have no access to it."

That doesn't make sense to me.

When my appeal went to the BVA (for direct SC death award) my CUE claim remained pending at the VARO in a temporary folder and is now under Nehmer for processing.

My BVA award even mentions I had other issues still pending at the VARO level but not under the BVA's jurisdiction (darn it)

I also had as I recall 2 claims awarded at the RO level when I also had an appeal at the BVA years ago on a distinctly separate issue.

Maybe I am reading this wrong.

• HadIt.com Elder

You would want to send the new evidence to where the claim is in appeal. Is it at the BVA? I don't think you can send new evidence if it is at CAVA. Where is your claim at now?

ABSOLUTELY-

John is correct- as long as it isnt at the CAVC send it right away to the RO or to the BVA.(copies of it that is)- and get a proof of mailing cert or tracking slip if USPS from the PO.

You could use a 1-4138 as a cover letter asking them to promptly consider the enclosed additional evidence regarding your claim for---- and give them your C file number.

I too would like to know what the status is- have you been recently denied for this issue? Are you responding to a SOC?

Are you including this evidence -with a referral to it- in a NOD?

Is it for a Reconsideration Request-

and if so Please read the Appeals/ reconsideration current discussion in the Appeals BVA CAVC etc forum here.