VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu And Voc Rehab

Rate this question

willie 74

Question

I am currrently a voc rehab student. ( Online) I got SSD about 5 months ago so I applied for TDIU. Could I get TDIU based off of SSD? And could I still do the online schooling? And if not why not, just becuase I may not be able to physically work, my mind works, well somewhat anyway....:blink:

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

SSD can help but it has to be for the same thing to really be a big help

Vocational Rehabilitation is supposed to prepare you for re-entering the workforce. Once you finish your training, you can work under Social Security's Ticket to Work program for a little while with no danger of losing your SSDI during the Trial Work Period. If you continue to work and lose your SSDI, and then can't work anymore for some reason, you can re-file under an expedited process to regain your SSDI benefits.

I'm not sure if there is an equivalent program for Total Disability Based On Individual Unemployability (TDIU), as by nature, TDIU is awarded to people who cannot work due to their Service-Connected disabilities. I think that TDIU P&T would be incompatible with someone attending Voc Rehab, as it denotes their condition is not expected to improve; whereas TDIU can be temporary, and taken away once a veteran returns to the workforce. JMHO

Thanks for the replys. Yes the ssd was all service connected. I talked to them and they said based off of all my service records is how they made the determination.

Thanks willie. I am in the same scenario and had the exact same question. Maybe we could get approved for some school under ILP, go to school part time even if its not for working but to keep our mids sharp, to be social, help with the depression/alone time and be a positive thing in our life.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are a young guy or gal I would try and get schooling and collect TDIU if possible with hopes that I may be able to return to work one day. It may not be possible. If I were 23 years old I sure would not be looking forward to being on TDIU for the next 50 years. If I was 50 years old on TDIU I would be trying to get P&T since there is probably nothing out there for you unless you can be self-employed. Age discrimination is real. I got TDIU when I was 51 years old. There was no work out there for me in any sense of the world.

I would rather still be serving, but my injurys really are the truth which prevent me from doing so. I am 36 and if I can rehab to working shape I want the education to be employable. As of now and the past two years I have actually got worse so we will see. Either way we need to work our minds and do something to help with the depression which is a day to day battle for most. Do you think I should let the chap 35 guy know I applied for TDIU or have been approved for SSD? I dont want to find myself in trouble for not doing something I should of. Thanks all