VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam Favorable?

Rate this question

silke

Question

Thanks for all yur help....

My husband was diagnosed by the air force with adjustment disorder with depressed mood and avoidant personality traits in 1993 after a sudden character change ( got arrested twice, art 15, violent behavior, problems at work)...He got out on a voluntary separation, honorably.

with 6 months of separation he became schizophrenic, he refused treatment and denied any problem...lack of insight and judgement is a typical symptom of schizophrenia, and with the mental health laws in place, he could not be forced into treatment or meds.

In 2006 i was able to stage a intervention and get him into treatment and on meds at a county clinic...in 2007 he started going to the va clinic and the doctor there diagnosed him with p.schizophrenia, he suggested we apply for ssd and va comp.

He got ssd within six months and last year we applied for va comp......we had a c&p exam last week...i went with him (his gaf is 35 and needs help to communicate)..pretty easy exam and at the end the doctor said she believes that his condition began in the service....essentially the adjustment do eventually became schizophrenia.

How much weight does the doctors opinion at the c&p exam hold for a favorable outcome???

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

... campaign medal for op. desert storm/shield,...

You post that your husband's onset was 1993. Was he ever in fear or threat of loss of life during desert storm/shield? Did he witness any thing during his wartime experience?

My most positive thoughts are with you and your family.

Bob

You post that your husband's onset was 1993. Was he ever in fear or threat of loss of life during desert storm/shield? Did he witness any thing during his wartime experience?

My most positive thoughts are with you and your family.

Bob

Thank you for your thoughts kind sir,

He was in Doha, Qatar during desert st\shield, in a combat communications squadron...pretty much in the rear with the gear....was then redeployed for operation Provide Comfort, which was an operation to protect the Kurds who were fleeing the wrath of the Iraqi army, he was at a humanitarian camp in northern Iraq. He did mention that he saw the dead and the dying, mostly children and the elderly......but never talked about it again. He was never the same again after that and he began a downward spiral a couple of years later.

Unfortunately, his memory is shot, I had to attend his c&p exam to give his full history, as he could not tell the examiner the day of the week, the month, or where he was...I did mention the above, but no mention of ptsd was given although it helped the examiner determine that the onset was due to military stress....I suppose this issue could be further examined on an appeal if neccesary.

• HadIt.com Elder

He can get 100% for anxiety/depression just as easy as PTSD as long as it is service connected. Since C&P exam said these conditions were more likely than not service connected I think you will get a significant rating. Nobody has each and every symptom of PTSD. This is a game the VA is playing. I think they must be obeying orders to limit the number of these PTSD diagnosis.

I agree with all that has been posted here about the rules and regs about hereditary diseases but I also know from experience that every Rater in the VA claims system will try to use anything that is hereditary AGAINST a veterans claim. The VA is NOT known to be a true follower of their on rules and regs. Handle your claim any way that you want but if it were me I would be very careful with the hereditary stuff. Even though you may win through appeals it could become a very long and trying period of time.

Good luck with your claim and I do hope that you succede.

hello all....Went out the the mailbox yesterday morning and saw a big manila envelope from the VA in there. I lost my cookies on the lawn, I knew what it meant. I was shaking so bad I could barely get it open. Here is what we got:

schizophrenia, paranoid type with depression 100%

The VA examination on March 31, 2011 had established that your schizophrenia, paranoid type with depression has rendered you permanently and totally disabled.

In the reasons for decision, no mention was made of family history at all. It said "The entrance exam failed to show evidence of any mental condition prior to military service". For those of you that have a family history, dont give up. Even though I had plenty of evidence, the reason for decision dwelled on the C&P exam findings. They brought up the GAF score and said it indicated serious impairment and they mentioned my "buddy letter"......it all carried alot of weight on the rating decision.

Two years ago, I went to the local county VSO.....he told me to forget about filing for comp and go home, it had been too long since he was discharged. I requested his SMR's and went home and found this site. I was on my own and even though I didnt post much I learned everything I needed to know right here. It made all the difference and we wouldnt be where we are at today if It wasnt for this site and the wonderful people on it. Everyone of you provided a piece of the puzzle that I had to put together. I cant thank you's guys enough. I hope everyone has a wonderful 4th of July.......XOXOXOXO to all.