VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam Favorable?

Rate this question

silke

Question

Thanks for all yur help....

My husband was diagnosed by the air force with adjustment disorder with depressed mood and avoidant personality traits in 1993 after a sudden character change ( got arrested twice, art 15, violent behavior, problems at work)...He got out on a voluntary separation, honorably.

with 6 months of separation he became schizophrenic, he refused treatment and denied any problem...lack of insight and judgement is a typical symptom of schizophrenia, and with the mental health laws in place, he could not be forced into treatment or meds.

In 2006 i was able to stage a intervention and get him into treatment and on meds at a county clinic...in 2007 he started going to the va clinic and the doctor there diagnosed him with p.schizophrenia, he suggested we apply for ssd and va comp.

He got ssd within six months and last year we applied for va comp......we had a c&p exam last week...i went with him (his gaf is 35 and needs help to communicate)..pretty easy exam and at the end the doctor said she believes that his condition began in the service....essentially the adjustment do eventually became schizophrenia.

How much weight does the doctors opinion at the c&p exam hold for a favorable outcome???

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

After reading the entire thread - -

Congratulations on the 100%. That can help assure financial stability now and in the future.

Since I am basically paranoid when it comes to dealing with the VA.

A concern with high disability ratings and mental disorders is simply that the VA has been known to decide that the veteran and immediate family are not competent

to "properly manage" the compensation. There may or may not be language in a C&P that relates. The real problem is that the VA likes to totally ignore existing and working

financial arrangements and prefers to appoint a "professional" fiduciary. The VA's fiduciary program is not something to get involved with if there is any workable alternative.

If the VA withholds retro pay, it's often an early indication of the VA's intent to appoint a fiduciary.

silke,

Congrats !

Any check in the mailbox or direct deposit made yet ?

Does the decision state anything in regards to

Permanent and Total (P&T) - No Future Exams - Chapter 35, Educational Benefits ?

Also, as Chuck showed interest - did the C&P examiner state anything

in regards to - the vet can or can't handle their own financial affairs,

or did the rating decision mention anything about a fiduciary ?

Silke, Just goes to show you to go with your heart and strength and use of vets sites, such as hadit to help you along the way. March 2011 exam date, so when was the retro date they have to go back to when you two applied for benefits? Make sure they go back to that date, and remember they pay for the next month when starting to receive benefits. ie Filled in Nov 2010 and retro starts in Dec 2010.

Hopefully he is receiving the correct medications for his treatment regimen too. Check bank account if your put in for direct deposit, as you never know how fast or slow the $$ get deposited, same as if you receive a check. Enjoy the win, and make sure he keeps all appointments and follows therapy routes too.

Hello all, His paperwork for a DOD ID card states his disablity is permanent and total in nature and no further exams are scheduled. Thats the good news. They have proposed to rate him as incompetent to handle his financial affairs. The SSA , years ago, did this too and Im his SSD payee. Our VSO sent in a SOC to appoint me as his fiduciary and to voluntarily give up his right to own or use firearms a couple of weeks ago..and we have to wait for a field agent to make an appointment with us for a home visit...dont know what thats all about....so we havent received any money yet, but thats ok....Im sure it will all work out sooner or later....

Halos2....He see's a doctor and a therapist on a regular basis and will be starting a day program at the VAMC soon and I'vd applied to do some volunteer work for the VA while he's in the program..It's good to get out and do something for the both of us and I wish to pay it forward in any way I can. God bless you all.