VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cml And Pulomonary Fibrosis

Rate this question

TomLeo

Question

Finally got a diagnosis for the persistent cough and shortness of breath that oncologists and GP and I were all convinced were side effects of CML/Gleevec. It is actually Pulmonary Fibrosis -- not a good prognosis with that. Here is the thing, there are other Vietnam Vets with CML who have similar, actually identical symptoms to what I have. You must be your own advocate.

Also, those of us with CML who have been denied or will be denied now that the backlog of diabetes and hypertension claims allow the VA time to consider other (more fatal) illnesses, we must keep at this and join us in our fight. All those guys who filed claims and were denied in the 1990s who died MUST not have died in vain. Australia and New Zealand VA HAVE MADE CML PRESUMPTIVE TO AO! We also need to find out if the Gulf War I CML claims that were approved were for Vets who were ALSO Vietnam Vets. Remember, the Vietnam Vets truning 50-60 are most likely to develop CML, and SOME of the Gulf War I Vets were also Vietnam Vets.

All who are in this category, please contact. Also look on the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Community CML site. Since neither VA nor SocSec have done anything on my disability claims, I am losing my house. The next 3-4 weeks will be intensely involved in moving, but after that I am full time in this fight along with a couple of other Vets in same situation. We can use all the help we can get!

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

My VA Onc answered one of my questions by saying there are a lot of Vietnam Vets with CML. I kind of figured that since the blood tests I get are very specific tests for a certain protein that very few cancers look for, and two of the phlebotomists have told me that they draw blood in that particular color vial fairly often. It strikes me odd that so few CML vets have contacted me on this or the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society website. The only way we are going to make any progress is together.