VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi / Migraines Deferred For Medical Opinion?

Rate this question

Seabee64

Question

Hello, I am new to posting but have been following Hadit for a while and appreciate all the advice from the members here. I am in a quandry. I am currently rated at 80% (20, 10, 10, 10, 70). I was rated at 40% for a neck injury. I just recieved the white envelope taking me from 40 to 80 percent for PTSD, depressive disorder and cognitive disorder. They deferred on the TBI and migraines for a medical opinion. The TBI is documented by neurologist and spect scans as well as my being on a TBI study group at the VA. Is covering me under PTSD for a cognitive disorder the same thing as the cognitive problems that stem from my TBI? I am currently still working only because I have been at my job for 23 years and am in a position where I deligate. I have been demoted and am in serious danger of loosing my job in short order due to so many things that I am sure you are all aware of. I feel like they might would have rated me higher if I hadn't of been still working. I know right, 70% for PTSD right off the bat is alright but it only took me four years to get it! So, why would they defer the TBI and migraines for a medical opinion.

Thanks y'all,

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You have passed the hardest hurdle because you are already service connected. When you can no longer work you should or at least hopeful get 100% close to Social Security.

Good Luck

So, why would they defer the TBI and migraines for a medical opinion.

Thanks y'all,

Seabee,

Welcome to Hadit.com

The migraines and TBI have to be rated under the following criteria.

Migraines are Diagnostic Code (DC) 8100

TBI is DC 8045 and very involved with many facets to be considered.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2009/julqtr/38cfr4.124a.htm

Thank you Carlie and Pete53. I am still currently working but on my way out the door as I can no longer avoid the obvious. I am only 47 but my cognitive skills, temperment, epilepsy, PTSD and many facets of TBI have become a part of my life to the point that I have to medically retire from my job after 20+ years and recieve only half my pay. The process of med retirement is like taking on the VA but it is a challenge I will undertake because I have earned it. I know that I have no chance of getting TDIU while I am still working...Question is, once I retire from the State of Louisiana where I currently work, how do I go about filing for TDIU with the VA? And what are the chances of getting it? How long does it take and do I go through my VA rep? (He's ineffective) Or what is the best and quickest way to go? I can't remember what I posted originally and I can't see it from this page but I am 80% SCd (70% PTSD & 20, 10,10,10 other). I have a pending TBI/migraines issue that has been in the development stage since 5/08/1010 while they sorted out the PTSD. But hey, at least they went ahead and resolved THAT issue! YIPPEE! I appreciate any comments and/or advice you might have to offer. I am at a total loss when it comes to all of this. Thanks again and have a blessed day!