VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Discharge Review Board

Rate this question

H4nds0l0

Question

So I've come back from before, 24 year old male with 50% service connected disability from the VA for Depression and Anxiety. I got a letter from the Air Force Review Boards Agency on Mar 5th that they received my application for review and was given the docket number FD-2011-00057.

I had a pretty hefty package that I sent, including a legal brief from a private lawyer that I hired. Anyone know when I will be getting to go in for a hearing? This year? Next? I tried to compare my status to the pages on boards.law.af.mil but it seems like all of the discharge reviews were all over the place. People who submitted in 2005 were being reviewed in 2007, and people who submitted in 2007 were being reviewed just a few months later.

I guess i'm #57 in line for review...for 2011...but does that mean I'll have to wait two years?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Are you requesting your discharge be converted from a medical discharge to medical retirement? As far as I know, I don't think you actually go for a hearing for this. They simpley review your documentation and provide an answer.

Sorry, no. I was discharged for minor misconduct although the misconduct was specifically related to anxiety and depression. I was going to mental health while in the service during my instances of misconduct and the mental health team recommended me for discharge for 'Adjustment Disorder', even though I was being prescribed medications for anxiety and depression by the Flight Medicine Clinic.

Then my CO, after receiving the recommendation from mental health, discharged me for the minor disciplinary infractions as a first case basis and "conditions that interfere with military service" as a secondary basis.

Then I came home and the VA immediately granted me 50% disability for Depression and Anxiety. I've been having a lot of medical problems since then, had a colonoscopy last week and they couldn't find anything wrong so they told me my digestive problems were related to my previous anxiety and depression diagnosis. Plus I started shaking terribly at the hospital I work at for no reason whatsoever and the ER doctors diagnosed me with PTSD, but I haven't tried to claim PTSD or anything.

• HadIt.com Elder

What was the nature of your discharge? Was in general under honorable or LTH? If you have good evidence you should be able to get an upgrade. I got an upgrade many years ago after Vietnam. Going from honorable to medical is a different animal. That means the military has to pay so they fight like cats and dogs. If you have a hearing will your lawyer be there to represent you? You need someone familiar with the rules to be there for you. I had a hearing. My rep had them crying at the end. It was such a sad story I felt like crying. I have never been so sorry for myself in my life. That is the proof of a good rep. Even the hardassed military officer seemed to melt a little. There were civilians and military at the hearing. It is informal but you need a rep.

What was the nature of your discharge? Was in general under honorable or LTH? If you have good evidence you should be able to get an upgrade. I got an upgrade many years ago after Vietnam. Going from honorable to medical is a different animal. That means the military has to pay so they fight like cats and dogs. If you have a hearing will your lawyer be there to represent you? You need someone familiar with the rules to be there for you. I had a hearing. My rep had them crying at the end. It was such a sad story I felt like crying. I have never been so sorry for myself in my life. That is the proof of a good rep. Even the hardassed military officer seemed to melt a little. There were civilians and military at the hearing. It is informal but you need a rep.

General with Honorable Conditions. I'm not trying to turn in medical. I specifically stated that I just want an honorable discharge so I can get educational benefits. I don't want to milk the system of all it's money, but I was wronged...I worked so hard and got sick and they threw me out like a dog. I still feel like a mangy dog.

You must mean the GI Bill.

http://www.gibill.com/blog/does-the-gi-bill-require-an-honorable-discharge.html

I sure hope you get this favorably fixed.

But you would also be eligible for VA Voc Rehab from what I seem to see here.

But if you paid for the GI Bill I sure see your point.

Thank you for your service.