VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tsgli Processing

Rate this topic

USNDW

I don't remember if I posted here about the TSGLI payment for loss of DAL after a knee replacement, but after the new change to the TSGLI requirements that went into effect October 1, 2011 I was paid for 1 period of loss within 109 days. Freakin' awesome.

But not only that, the casualty assistance rep. explained that I might be eligible for a subsequent claim due to another surgery that took place as the condition continued to worsen. I sent the medical records that showed the restrictions I had, and they were pretty tough. No weight bearing on leg for 6 weeks, no driving for 90 days, minimum, walking with partial weightbearing another 4-6 weeks and then a cane to balance. My leg was so weak after walking only 10-15 feet with crutches my calf felt like it was going to explode. Anyway, she reviewed the medical records and the PCP that I had during that time signed off on the Part B that I did need, and still need assistance for several DLA.

Yesterday she called and left a message that we were approved for the additional 3 periods of DLA and we were going to collect the other $75,000. I cannot freakin believe it. I didn't really know a lot about TSGLI, except that when the rule changed 10/1 that I might be eligible for one period, but I was not really aware that if there was another loss for the same accident within 2 years the member can file subsequent claims.

Not only was she honest in telling me that, she made sure the paperwork was taken care of and after the med-board was thinking about denying it she took the records and showed them how jacked up I was at that time. I sent her a long and expressive thank you but I am not really even sure how to properly thank her. I am going to send a letter to her boss, and I hope I will be able to do something like buy the entire office there lunch or something. Obviously me and my wife are ecstatic.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BOOYAH!

Full payment of SGLI benefits in the bank. Unfreakin believable. To think, 2 years ago, I did not even know there was such a thing as TSGLI and now big payments.

Obviously I would rather be healthy but this is an awesome benefit. If anyone you know suffered a traumatic injury, a car accident, falling off a roof, or obviously if injured in combat, have them file a TSGLI claim. It is not difficult and all the info is available on the VA website.

USNDW,I am so glad for you.I have a question for you. I retired from the Army last year after going blind to my left eye while being an active duty Recruiter. I was working and suddently i had a sharp pain in my eye and evently went blind. I was sent home due to not being able to drive a government car and or oickup potential soldiers. Anyway I tried to file a claim for TSGLI and was disaproved,dont know why, I was working when it happened. I even have a sworn statement from a fellow Recruiter stating what happened.Do you have any advise for me on what to do. I understand it's it $50.000 for the lost of one eye. Any input would be greatly appreicated.

Thamks.

The loss has to be caused by a traumatic event, such as a car crash, being shot, hit by shrapnel, something that happens from a source outside the body.

I am sorry for your loss of vision. If you would have been hit in the eye by a foreign object then it would have been a traumatic event.

TSGLI is Traumatic Servicemembers Group Life Insurance. It is coverage from September 2001 through December 2005. If the service member suffered a traumatic event and suffered a loss because of the the traumatic event that fits within the TSGLI guidelines they can file a claim.

The list of losses are on the VA website under services, then life insurance. It is the SGLI coverage and then for a short period of time they had the TSGLI coverage.

• 2 weeks later...

The loss has to be caused by a traumatic event, such as a car crash, being shot, hit by shrapnel, something that happens from a source outside the body.

I am sorry for your loss of vision. If you would have been hit in the eye by a foreign object then it would have been a traumatic event.

TSGLI is Traumatic Servicemembers Group Life Insurance. It is coverage from September 2001 through December 2005. If the service member suffered a traumatic event and suffered a loss because of the the traumatic event that fits within the TSGLI guidelines they can file a claim.

The list of losses are on the VA website under services, then life insurance. It is the SGLI coverage and then for a short period of time they had the TSGLI coverage.

what if the accident happen in 2007, and the person was on active duty.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use