VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Father Needs Resources

Hi all :) ,

My father is a marine corps veteran. He's 60 years old, had a heart attack a few weeks ago and has depression/grief and numerous other health issues. His SSDI is a sure thing, but he is waiting for word from the intermediary company handling every aspect of his claim. He doesn't want to take on the process of increasing his 30% Service Connection because of the additional stress involved. He has to move soon because his income only covers 80% of his rent and he is burning through his savings, which is small. I've been trying to find him a place, but his income only allows for the 'shadier' apartments and he feels pretty vulnerable. Since this is probably temporary while SSDI makes its determination, but he may have access to and eligibility for programs he qualifies for through his age and veteran status. Are there any programs or agencies that could help him find housing or piece of mind?

I plan to take him to the VA hospital and to the VA Regional office this week, but since I'm in my 30's, I have no idea what else might be available to him or who to talk to at the VA, which is a pretty big place once you're inside...

Scy

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

If your father is a war Vet and has no other income, he should be eligible for a pension through the VA which is income based.......I know he is 30% but this should be more funds than the Comp.

If he is awarded SSDI then it would end the Pension as SSDI would most likely be more, yet there would be no offset to the 30% comp and he would get both...........Hope I stated that right, if not, there will be a correction coming from others.

• HadIt.com Elder

If your Father served in Viet Nam it is much easier for him to win a claim based on heart condition. The VA accepts that Foot on Ground in Viet Nam is automatic.

If he leaves the foot work for claim all that is needed is to fill our a form that is online or on paper and go to a Medical exam. The stress for many is the VA takes its sweet time developing and granting service connection.

What is his 30% rating. Waiting to file is wasting money that he needs. Thank you for helping your Dad.

Thanks everybody for the information :)

I'll get him to file for SOMETHING at the VA this week - wasting money is not an option with me, at least. I wonder if I can provide any leads that will give him some peace of mind as to future shelter while he waits for what he definitely has coming. In the meantime, his former employer is giving him the shaft, financially. My father has a combination of ailments, just counting the physical ones, that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. He needs some immediate help for housing and security so he can recover properly without the looming eviction and shut off notices that are a few months off. So far, the best I've got are the DAV and a homeless coordinator at the VA Hospital who might have some insight.

PS: His 30% for an accident had occurred just prior to him leaving for Vietnam, literally putting him in traction at the time (1969, I think). Therefore, he is not a war veteran. I'm going to count on the DAV counselor (my father is a lifetime member) for a best COA, my Dad is already overwhelmed with 'what-ifs', and he seems pretty overwhelmed by the social security process alone (I can't blame him!) And then, I could barely decipher my own claim process when I was stressed out financially.

For affordable housing look in your community for senior and disabled apartment complexes. They usually limit residents to age 55 and above with nice one and two bedroom unfurnished apts. at a reasonable rate. He would be around people his age and older, many with medical issues so he does not feel like an outsider. Plus the complex usually has activities, swimming pool and transportation to dr. or grocery store. There may be a waiting list so get on it quick and at more than one place. For help with utilities and land line phone, check the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program and/or the Public Utility Commission in your state.

• HadIt.com Elder

If your Dad goes to a community place visit him often. You will not regret it and it will mean a lot to him.