VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally Won Asbestosis Claim

Rate this topic

greatescape

CONGRATULATIONS !!!! We're always happy to hear about successful claims here at Hadit!

Lorraine

Congrats and I too wish to find out how you proved exposure as I have a Vietnam vet brother-in-law who was also dx with this condition. His file was put in over 1 1/2 years ago and he has yet to have a C&P exam appointment. Are you on oxygen therapy? He is and has to pay for own care thus far..

I was a BT from 1964/1968 on an old liberty ship built in 1945.

As part of our normal work day we were exposed to asbestos dust any where from

4 to 24 hours a day depending on what need tearing down & repaired. Everything was

insulated with asbestos, & any of it removed had to be replaced by us. The equipment,

piping, boilers etc would have a halo of dust around them from the vibrations.

I first filed claims for hearing & asbestos in 2007. Hearing was approved last spring.

My asbestos claim was denied the first time with the following reason, you smoked all those

years & you were healthy in 1968 when you got out therefore there is nothing wrong

with you. I got a little upset, got 2 gallons of flesh colored paint for my red "cheeks" , filed

an appeal.

In February of 2008 I had complete resperatory failure, wound up in local hospital (civilian)

& put on oxygen therapy. When I got out & able had oxygen switched to VA with no problems.

I get all my oxygen & supplies form the VA. I let a deadline get away from me last year for an

appeal on asbestos claim. I know, I know, for your info one can kick ones own behind. As

soon as I could I made a follow up appointment with my pulmonary doctor, who wrote up

a diagnosis of asbestosis due to working in enclosed engine room with asbestos dust. Refiled

claim in late July last year. Got my senator involved to, I figured I needed all the help I could get.

Then lo & behold I got my letter on January 3, money in the bank on the 5th.

Now comes the interesting part, the 2 main reasons it was approved was being on oxygen therapy

& my breathing tests. All of this info was available to them, but no one took the time to look.

I know that there are a lot of other guys out there that served under the same conditions, mabye

this will help them or get them off their butts !

Enough typing for awhile !

Glad to hear of your victory but sorry about your health. I have a sc issue also w/ absestos. I was a Wac in old WW11 barrack @ ft.mcclellan, al. There is HR 2052 before congress now. The lining (pleura)of my lungs are beginning to thicken. Never smoked. My pulmonologist noted in va records. And he scheduled an appt 1 yr in advance. I have a 242 epa report on ft mc. Like yours mine has 37 yrs later and affecting 1000's of vets mostly women. Also pcb exposure.

I had my last C & P hearing in November 2011. The lady who gave it just shook her head after reading my file & said you should

have had it the first time, She could'nt believe it. She told me you will get a better rating after this, by golly she was right. So

from September till January, 3 not bad for speed on VA's part. I owe her a big hug next time I see her !

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use