VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Benefits Questionnaires

As I'm in total agreement with this, wouldn't VA think opiates be considered as continuous medication for a chronic pain condition as well? If it's not, then the only reason I can think of is, chronic pain is considered a temporary condition, but at the same time it could also last years and years. Some medications has side effects that's worse than the disability itself. I find it hard to think the VA would even consider pain medicine as not part of an exam where pain is involved.

Coot

Coot,

If I am understanding your issue correctly, I'd like to add my thoughts by a

hypothetical example.

Vet is SC'd for condition X

Vet files claim for secondary disability of pain due to SC'd condition - gets 10 %

Vet files claim for secondary disability of hemorrhoids (as a residual side effect of constipation)

due to medications taken for pain to treat the primary SC'd disability.

Does this example work ?

Actually carlie what I was getting at is when I had my last C&P exam, the Dr stated I was only to do sedentary work. Ok, now the meds (opiates) I'm taking has me running ever which way but loose. ha..Since the side effects are really disabling, I was curious of the reason why it wasn't part of the DBQ questions. I also thought I read somewhere that it was suppose to be included in the exam. But nothing was mentioned about any meds the Vet is taking.

Coot

Actually carlie what I was getting at is when I had my last C&P exam, the Dr stated I was only to do sedentary work. Ok, now the meds (opiates) I'm taking has me running ever which way but loose. ha..Since the side effects are really disabling, I was curious of the reason why it wasn't part of the DBQ questions. I also thought I read somewhere that it was suppose to be included in the exam. But nothing was mentioned about any meds the Vet is taking.

Coot

Coot,

Your SC'd for disability X.

You are RX's meds to treat disability X.

Your doctor writes an opinion that you now have a diagnosis of condition of Y

and this is a residual condition due to treatment of SC'd disability X.

You file a claim for disability Y and submit the doctors opinion.

Also,look over the criteria for DC's 7232,7233, 7234 and see if it applies.

JMHO

remember, "pain" is not a compensable disability under VA regulations. But yes Coot, it would help if doc said that.

Race, if u have 10 other issues, u could put them all in, but again i will stress that the more issues u bombard the V with, the less chance of getting it resolved quickly. Also, sometimes folks put in for things that are actually the same issue, such as insomnia, memory loss, depression, anxiety and PTSD. While it sounds like 5 issues, in reality all mental conditions are one, & all those conditions are symptoms of most mental conditions (ie anxiety can appear under both depression & PTSD, insomnia can occur under anxiety, depression or PTSD, etc.). By claiming it as "a mental (or psychiatric) condition to include: PTSD, depression, sleep problems, memory problems," etc, or something like that, you can condense the issues into one.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use