VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Pensions -Vs- Compensation

SP4RVN1971

I have Vietnam vet Friend that served 3 tours boots on the ground, but serve 23 years in the Air Force, Retired pensions. Now has had open heart triple bypass, replaces a valve. and consider IHD. If he go after compensation IHD and gets it. How will that effect his Pension pay or not? Is it best not to file for his compensation?????

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How will that effect his Pension pay or not? Your friend is entering the wonderful arena of CRSC versus CRDP . Once service connection for IHD s/p exposure to AO is granted, your friend needs to make a decision whether it's better to apply for CRDP (actually, this is done automatically) or to apply for CRSC. I suspect that CRSC would be better.

Is it best not to file for his compensation????? No. Even if a portion of his MilRetPay is offset by VA compensation, ya gots ta' remember that VA compensation is Federal and state income tax free,.

Parenthetically speaking, I personally dislike the term military pension. Technically, is is pension, but I prefer the term "deferred compensation for services previously rendered.".

I have Vietnam vet Friend that served 3 tours boots on the ground, but serve 23 years in the Air Force, Retired pensions. Now has had open heart triple bypass, replaces a valve. and consider IHD. If he go after compensation IHD and gets it. How will that effect his Pension pay or not? Is it best not to file for his compensation?????

Once your friend is awarded comp thru the VA, the VA will automatically give him CRDP. They will tell him how it works and how much he will get. To get CRSC he will have to apply thru the Air Force once he gets the disability award from the VA. CRSC is also tax free. Every year the VA will give him a choice of either CRDP or CRSC to receive. You cannot get both it's one or the other.

• 3 weeks later...

Once your friend is awarded comp thru the VA, the VA will automatically give him CRDP. They will tell him how it works and how much he will get. To get CRSC he will have to apply thru the Air Force once he gets the disability award from the VA. CRSC is also tax free. Every year the VA will give him a choice of either CRDP or CRSC to receive. You cannot get both it's one or the other.

while yes, you have a choice, the va will automatically pay you the greater benefit. unless, of course, you tell them otherwise. i am eligible for both. until i was granted IU lte last year, i received nsc pension with aid and attendance because it was the greater benefit.

• 1 year later...

This VA link has all the NSC pension info:

http://benefits.va.gov/pension/

and discussions here available under a hadit search such as: