• hate-ads-subscribe-now.jpg

• Ad
  • Ad
  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ad

Requesting Evaluation For Tdiu After Ssdi

Would like to ask for some help in understanding TDIU evaluations, please. If a vet does not meet the % requirements for TDIU, is it necessary to submit a request for a higher rating, also, or does the TDIU application presume that? Does the VA look at evidence for a higher rating before making any decisions for TDIU? I am aware that VA and SSA do not have to follow each other's decisions, but if the vet was awarded SSDI based solely on VA and military medical records, the vocational aspects, and the judge's decision that the vet is not able to obtain or maintain gainful employment according to their law, will that help with VA's decision, although the VA had only rated the vet @ 30% for mental disorder and 10% for physical disorder? The TDIU evaluation seems to be moving rather quickly considering the backlog as the vet has already been scheduled for two C&P's...one for psychiatric; other for physical reason. Another concern is that in the notice of receipt for TDIU claim, it seems like VA keeps hitting on the "unusual circumstances" necessary for an extra schedular TDIU...is that just protocol in their form letters, or is that something to worry about? What "unusual circumstances" do they look for? I looked but couldn't get any clear picture of what that entails. Thank you very much to anyone that may assist with these questions.

Edited by Ethan'sGrandma

4 answers to this question

My personal example might help.

Husband was 30% SC PTSD from 1983.

In 1992 he requested a higher rating for his PTSD and then a few months later he sent them a TDIU form.

In 1992 SSDI awarded sole for a NSC stroke (was SCed under 1151 this past January at 100%)

I asked SSDI to reconsider the award as his PTSD had not been considered by the SSA,although they had all of his PTSD records.

A few months later they changed his SSDI from a 1992 stroke solely to PTSD with a very favorable onset date of 1991.

I did a lot of work to support the reconsideration and the better EED.Both SSA and a SSA lawyer tried to discourage me but evidence is what it is.I had some very unusual evidence too. It was generated by an ADA EEOC complaint. My husband was the first disabled veteran in NY to win under those discrimination regulations.Also I used VA testimony from an EEOC case he had filed against the VA.

N one is confined to just 'medical' evidence on many issues they might have regarding SSA and the VA claims process.

This new SSA award info was sent to the VA to support Rod's claim for higher PTSD rating and the subsequent TDIU claim he filed.

But he died while his VA claims were pending ( including a 1151 claim too)and I re opened them as the widow of the veteran.

A few months prior to the 1151 DIC award, the VA awarded posthumously, retroactive 100% P & T for PTSD back to 1991,using the same date the SSDI reconsideration award had given him.

So, here was a vet at 30 % and DAV reps had told him he was not eligible for TDIU and certainly not 100%.

I read the TDIU form over carefully in 1993 and saw that it contained no specific SC percentage criteria at all.

Although 70 % SC triggers the VA to consider TDIU, there is no statement on the form saying a vet can't request TDIU regardless of their current SC.rating.

I think his death made the TDIU a moot issue and that is why the award was for 100% P & T and not TDIU P & T.

So your point is correct except for one thing:

"but if the vet was awarded SSDI based solely on VA and military medical records, the vocational aspects, and the judge's decision that the vet is not able to obtain or maintain gainful employment according to their law, will that help with VA's decision, although the VA had only rated the vet @ 30% for mental disorder and 10% for physical disorder? The TDIU evaluation seems to be moving rather quickly",

the SSA award must solely regard the exact same SC conditions claimed.Any NSC part of the SSDI determination can make the SSDI award very problematic and not the best evidence for TDIU.

Often SSA focuses the prime medical condition only. As in my husband's case, they considered his stroke as the prime problem he had.

However his SSA app specified his PTSD as well ,and by time of the VA decision on his claims, his med recs revealed it was catastrophic.

He too had Voc Rehab records and significant other VA medical documentation( and from other sources) to support the SSA and also the posthumous VA 100% PTSD award.

I think if he had lived the award would have been the same, but for TDIU P & T.

Then again his med evidence matched the 100% SC PTSD rating criteria.

Edited by Berta
  • Like 1

Berta, when you say you asked SSA to reconsider their decision based on the PTSD award and then they gave a favorable onset date of 1991... were you still in the reconsideration phase, appeal phase, or had the final decsion already been given and you submitted your request after SSA had closed the case?

That would be nice to know that the SSA can change their decision after they issue an official decsion based on a good argrument and evidence.

And did your attornies submit the motion or did you write to SSA yourself?

Sorry I almost missed this question....

Rod had just been awarded SSA for a 1151 stroke.late 1992 or early 1993 . (EED to AUg 1992)

I called the SSA office up right away because the SSA award said nothing about his PTSD.

The SSA woman told me that they never considered his PTSD because the 1151 stroke was awarded. (EED Aug 1992)

"And did your attornies submit the motion or did you write to SSA yourself?" That was a LOL for me.

I wrote a Reconsideration Request to SSA myself for Rod to sign. It was right after he got the initial SSA award.I have no idea if they have a time frame for Reconsideration.It might be at their web site.

Both SSA tried to talk him and me out of filing this recon request and we went all the way to Elmira to have a SSA attorney turn us down for support for it. Adversity makes me push harder.

I had found at the Corning SSA office their regulations as to disability determinations. They allowed me to go through their law books and allowed me a few xerox copies. I found a regulation that stated that they(SSA) must consider every disability claimed. Rod had claimed both the stroke and also his PTSD. I sent a copy of their regulation in with the Recon request.

A few months after filing the SSA recon ,SSA called him up but Rod was at the VA day treatment and they told me he had won the request, a new award letter was prepared and his got an EED of Nov 1991.(last day he could work due to PTSD)

I called the SSA lawyer up and told him he just lost about $4500 bucks because he would not take the case ( 25 % fee of the additional retro about 18 thousand)

He was stunned and told me he would never pass up any PTSD SSA claim again. He apologized and we ended up talking about PTSD for about an hour.If an SSA lawyer doesn't understand one's disability, they wont take the case, or if they do, they would probably lose the case. Hopefully he learned something that day.

I had accumulated significant evidence (mostly all from the VA) as well as the proof that SSA had broken their own regs to file the reconsideration request. There was more to this then I could possibly type about here.....evidence resulting from numerous DOL complaints against his last employer, etc etc .....

This was pre internet as we know it, with no SSA web site. These days I am sure they would have info and deadlines on reconsideration requests.at the SSDI web site.

It was instrumental in me obtaining an accrued benefit for PTSD, due to Rod's pending PTSD claim for higher rating (he was 30%) when he died.

VA awarded posthumously 100% P & T for SC PTSD as of Nov 1991 (the same SSA retro date)

The recon request was awarded on 2 basis:

1. I proved SSA had broken their own disability regulations.

2. The medical evidence I submitted (most of whivh they already ad anyhow due to the initial award)was overwhelming and proved Rod was totally unemployable due to PTSD for almost a year prior to having the 1151 stroke.

Edited by Berta

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By abnrgr88
      Hello friends!  Quick question.....I am 90% overall and TDIU 100% with an appointment scheduled at the 1 year mark. Recently i have heard (through a VSO) that my wife and child are eligible for health care. Is this so??? thanks!
    • By unclejoe1
      I'm service connected for bilateral severe O.A hips 10%,secondary lumbar sprine,10% left and right knee 10%.My case was remanded back to R.O  for further development for my increase for hips O.A and to set C&P for my throat claim.  My question is if granted increase rate for my hips and granted service connection for  throat would I have to file for I.U or will they simply grant it if my ratings me the criteria. 
    • By Tbird
      For example: a veteran with PTSD works for a family friend’s business. The family friend provides the veteran with an office and duties that afford limited interaction with other people. The veteran’s salary pays his bills, and is over the current poverty threshold. Because the veteran’s job has been tailored to his individual needs (limited interaction with other people), his job is considered to be sheltered, and therefore falls under “marginal employment.” The VA cannot consider this job as being substantially gainful employment, and must not use it against him in determining IU.
      Marginal employment shall not be considered substantially gainful employment. Marginal employment generally shall be deemed to exist when a veteran's earned annual income does not exceed the amount established by the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, as the poverty threshold for one person. Significantly, however, marginal employment may also be held to exist, on a facts found basis, based on employment in a protected environment such as a family business or sheltered workshop even when earned income exceeds the poverty threshold. Consideration shall be given to all claims as to the nature of the employment and the reason for the termination. 38 C.F.R. § 4.16(a).
    • By Tbird

Yes, in some cases you can. 
      I can’t work if I’m getting Unemployability, right? No, in fact, unemployability does not always mean that a veteran is not working. The key, however, is that all income earned from employment must be at or below the poverty level, or from a job that is considered to be “sheltered”. These types of … Continue reading
    • By Inarticulate&Distorted
      It's official! After 3 years 8 months of fighting the VA. Now at 100% TDIU P&T. Chapter 35 Bennefits will be a nice addition. I look forward to hearing your success stories too fellow Vets.
    • By Andyman73
      Recently I was DX and granted SCD for PTSD due to personal trauma (MST). I have also noticed a dramatic reduction in performance capabilities as well. I have not mentioned this to any of my doctors, VA or private. It's been hard enough to admit to the MST, without having to add the ED to it. But I've reached a point where I can no longer ignore it.  I'm only 44 years old and have far too much life left to live to continue ignoring the ED. I'd like to hear any suggestions or guidance as to the best way to file a claim for this as secondary to my SCD PTSD. Any and all suggestions from all parties are welcome. Also, should I start with making an appointment with my PCP?  Thank you to all who read and respond to this delicate and humbling matter.
      Semper Fi
    • By Ddsr
      If awarded IU with no PT what health benefits are dependents eligible for if any? Would ChampVa be available, or is it only for P&T  TDIU?
    • By tazntaylr
      I have been working with a VSO to file my claim. I am currently in the process of gathering information. Only thing, file for MST with PTSD or file PTSD. VSO was hung up on the sexual part of MST.
      Was in service 1991-2000. In 1995 was involved with a female soldier, who also was involved with another male (married) soldier. After an exercise and the last night sleeping together she asked me to kill his wife. After the second time I went to CID and wore a wire twice. While the Article 32 hearing was going on she was let out of pre-trial and started harassing me, being around me. I was moved from my company to another, and ultimately to the brigade HQ (rear detachment). Brigade HQ was deployed then. Both the female soldier and male soldier were other than honorable discharged, but I was exiled for a year. Not the same after. As I was getting out in 1999 I learned that she had asked other people in the unit to kill me. I was seen at a Vet center into 2000.
      Same time as the Article 32, my chain of command was trying to discipline me for an Article 15/court martial. The incident was with the female soldier (before she had asked me) and was on a trumped up charge. Even had the 1st sergeant threatened me in his office about "if he could not get me on that charge he would find another". After my time in Brigade HQ I returned to almost a new unit, only 5% knew me. All I wanted was out, but he harassed me every day to change my mind and go to the promotion board. Would not even let anyone drive me to airport to PCS.
      It took my wife to point out that when I get harassed or witness it at work that I am affected by it. I am currently being seen for it by the Vet center I was seen at before. The vet center had listed me as PTSD and marked as military trauma. 
      Also, I don't have anything from that time as I was not in a good place and as a 26 year old did not want the reminders in my barracks room. So if anyone knows how to get the CID or JAG records I am all ears.
    • By Aquabear
      Should I (does anyone??) write a timeline about my claim? Like a one page timeline or outline or my history. Example: I just sent in my Social Security Disablilty paperwork for my claim because my SSD was approved due to my damage to my lower spine(posted a few days ago) the judge approved it. I was in Voc rehab 9/2008-4/2009 withdrew from college due to physical/mental meltdown then again went back 9/2010-5-2011 and again had to withdraw because I physically and mentally crashed( I was approved to the National Honor Society). I was approved for SSD 11/23/2009 and I figured if I wrote it out on a timeline it would help the to show the VA exactly the time line since I'm thinking they are not good at that.
      Advice please and thank you in advance. 
      ((A quick FYI during this time I have been consistently getting spinal injections, spine fusion surgery, quad tear surgery, take pain meds(which make it hard to impossible to think theoretically) and doing physical therapy and PTSD group n one on one at VA PTSD clinic for 3 years now which helps with my daily anxiety.))
      Thanks again. 
    • By TexasMarine
      Recently awarded 70% for Bipolar Disorder, granted TDIU, proclaimed P&T, with correct claim date determined.
      I must Thank all of you for keeping my hopes alive over the years, when darkness set in.
      I must publicly thank Bergmann & Moore, LLC of Bethesda, Maryland, for without their perseverance and capabilities, I would not have had any measure of success.  Professional in every way imaginable.  I can not say enough about their latest hero, Fatima.  Fatima, thanks for being rational, thoughtful, knowledgeable and thorough!  Mr. Bergmann and Mr. Moore, you two rock!
    • By Wayne TX
      I am currently at 50% and I have submitted and still waiting on Appeals for another 110%, of which one is a 50% rating for Sleep Apnea whereby I have fully compiled with all rating guidelines plus nexus backed by two IMOs linked to secondary s/c already cited in past BVA decisions on Apnea decisions............thus I do anticipate at some point having a minimum of a 70% rating derived from my Appeals whereby one disability would also be above 50% itself. .............thus MY QUESTION:  I did not seek or included in my Appeals for Individual Unemployability because am only 50% thus not qualified at this time to seek same.  In assuming my Appeal for Apnea is granted I will have acquired the required a total overall compensation disability rating  of 70%, so can I still make a run/claim for IU at my DRO Hearing, or does that need to be filed now before the Hearing ever takes place to even be considered?  I will receive a Video Conference Hearing at RO.  Has anyone out there sought IU at their actual Hearing Date and got it based on Appeals exceeding 70% or greater once the Appeals were granted and awarded?
    • By Broken Cat
      I am in the process of putting together a claim package for mental health issues related to MST.  Try as I might, I cannot find a VSO with experience in my situation.  It's taken me years to accept that I need help and that I need to address this once and for all, so when I say that I cannot handle doing this twice (submitting a sub par claim and then doing appeals) I really mean it. From day to day, I vacillate between thinking my problems are actually other people's inability to cope OR feeling like there is no point to me and that I'm a burden.If it weren't for the whole not being able to pay bills and risking alienating my kids for all eternity, I'd be perfectly content letting the world turn while I hang out at home and being maladjusted and mean.
      In my perfect world, there would be a check list of things to submit for a fully developed claim. On this checklist, there would be a list of key phrases or high points that would help sway the decision makers into awarding adequate compensation. I haven't been able to find anyone that has had success doing this with a case like mine.  I have police reports from the MST.  I have trauma counseling records and AD medical records that clearly state a d/x for PTSD related to rape on X date. My counseling sessions identified dissociation behaviors, PTSD, and anxiety. One doctor even noted that I was combative and stated that I wished harm on my attackers. 
      Obviously, the Navy handled this clear cut case of rape, with evidence and my complete cooperation, like they do any scandal.  They buried it and came after me.  That might be a secondary stressor, but I've been warned that claiming a secondary stressor could hose up everything and to keep my mouth shut?  kind of amazing that the advice that is meant to help, sounds a lot like the advice that sent me careening out of control all those years ago.
      Anyhow, I survived, got married, got out, and went in and out of counseling.  Over the years, I've been diagnosed with PTSD, Chronic Depression, Chronic Adjustment Disorder, Agoraphobia, Generalized anxiety Disorder, and Dissociation Disorder.  I don't trust military medicine or the government, so most of my counseling was done through non-profit organizations and women's shelters. They're so secretive, that I felt it'd be safe to tell them what I went through and my statements wouldn't end up in the Navy's summary of Mishaps... again. So, I don't really have records of those, except for prescriptions that were reported to Tricare.   I do have my civilian medical records. It has page after page of doctors complaining that I broke down, was combative, emotional etc, etc.  I do have a few sessions with shrinks at MTFs in the last couple years. They were not keen on actual diagnostics, they just gave me the pills I asked for.
      I'm shopping shrinks to assess me and give diagnosis. I'm not sure I need a nexus letter, but I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt.  I have a letter from my ex boss describing how my work performance plummeted over the years and how he made accommodations to keep me on. I also have a letter from me, describing my bad days and my rituals to get through them. My husband and his best friend were witnesses to the fallout of my rape, in terms of the military's response to me.  They can verify in statements that I did report it and go into counseling. They can also verify that I'm socially isolated and very codepenedent on them to meet new people or get involved in activities.  I don't have a single friend that they didn't make for me, first.  I do not know how to people. I don't have friends from work. I don't have "my own" friends from church. I don't even have people who like me well enough, and include me in things, without my husband and his best friend acting as intermediaries.  
      oh, I also have the most recent sentencing transcripts for the ringleader of my attackers.  The judge stated that he felt this dude was unrepentant and a monster. He cited his past sex crimes, "both in the record and that didn't make it to trial" and his history of convincing others to help him conceal his crimes.  If that's not a shout out from the bench, I don't know what is.

Anyhow, I guess my question is, has anyone here done a fully developed MST claim with multiple bullet points for anxiety, phobia, ptsd, and depression, and get 100% or at least, a high enough rating to qualify for unemployability?  Without having to go through appeals and lawyers?  Was a police report enough, even if the military dropped it?  Should I give the C&P my evidence, letters, and my personal statement too? I'm sure I have 1000 more questions,  but I'm mostly looking for someone who has done what I'm trying to do.
    • By Dsom
      I'm confused on what to apply for.
    • By LanceJoseph
      My initial claim in 2010, I was granted 70% overall and 50% for PTSD.  I filed a notice of disagreement and in 2013 I was giving a C&P exam for the issues below and was granted 70% but I filed another NOD for the back dating of PTSD and the fact that they completely ignored my TDIU claim. The verbage on this letter is confusing and I'm curious is they are going to back pay my TDUI to Oct 25 2013? I underlined where I was confused.  If anyone could shed light on what I could possibly be expecting that would be awesome. 

• By Ridehard2208
      Posts containing questions about TDIU
      Fixed the link below
  • Our picks

• I was rated at 10% for tinnitus last year by the VA. I went to my private doctor yesterday and I described to him the problems that I have been having with my sense of balance. Any sudden movement of my head or movement while sitting in my desk chair causes me to lose my balance and become nauseous. Also when seeing TV if there are certain scenes,such as movement across or up and down the screen my balance is affected. The doctor said that what is causing the problem is Meniere's Disease. Does any know if this could be secondary to tinnitus and if it would be rated separately from the tinnitus? If I am already rated at 10% for tinnitus and I could filed for Meniere's does any one know what it might be rated at? Thanks for your help. 68mustang
      • 15 replies
    • Feb 2018 on HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran. Sharing top posts and a few statistics with you.
      • 0 replies
    • I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67. 
    • If you are new to hadit and have DIC questions it would help us tremendously if you can answer the following questions right away in your first post.

What was the Primary Cause of Death (# 1) as listed on your spouse’s death certificate?

What,if anything, was listed as a contributing cause under # 2?

Was an autopsy done and if so do you have a complete copy of it?

It can be obtained through the Medical Examiner’s office in your locale.

What was the deceased veteran service connected for in his/her lifetime?

Did they have a claim pending at death and if so what for?

If they died from anything on the Agent Orange Presumptive list ( available here under a search) when did they serve and where? If outside of Vietnam, what was their MOS and also if they served onboard a ship in the South Pacific what ship were they on and when? Also did they have any major  physical  contact with C 123s during the Vietnam War?

And how soon after their death was the DIC form filed…if filed within one year of death, the date of death will be the EED for DIC and also satisfy the accrued regulation criteria.
      • 14 replies
    • VA C and P Exam – Do’s and Don’ts – VA Compensation Pension Exam

The following is written from a VA Compensation and Pension Examiners perspective relating to psychiatric exams. It is a good guideline for all exams but I only did psych exams. I’ve been examined by the VA for multiple problems and this is my format when I go to be examined. A little common sense and clarity ...

Continue Reading
      • 0 replies