VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Picked Up A Copy Of C&p Exam.

Rate this question

Greg88

Question

So I went to the VAMC where I had my C&Ps done for Diabetes, basically the examiner stated the my diabetes and peripheral neuropathy stopped me from working, examiner noted the severity of the peripheral neuropathy. One of the reasons I received 100% 14 years ago was because of the hypoglycemic unawareness I suffer from (type 1 diabetic for 36 years) the examiner did note that my blood glucose was 48 which is considered severe hypoglycemia, but the DBQs do not mention this little problem which causes a lot of seriuos problems for long term diabetics. On Ebenefits my status went from gathering evidence to preparing for notification in 5 days. The 2 DBQs that the examiner did were very strong in some case's but a little weak (in my mind) in others. The two exams were 26 pages long and very depressing according to my wife, the diabetes criteria for 100% is very ambiguous to begin with here is the criteria :

7913 Diabetes mellitus Requiring more than one daily injection of insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities (avoidance of strenuous occupational and recreational activities) with episodes of ketoacidosis or hypoglycemic reactions requiring at least three hospitalizations per year or weekly visits to a diabetic care provider, plus either progressive loss of weight and strength or complications that would be compensable if separately evaluated 100%

I take 7 shots a day (all the DBQ say is more than 1 shot a day) my diet is stricty regulated (nothing in the DBQ) examiner does say restricted work and recreational in the DBQ. The episodes of hypoglycemia hospitalizations is way down since 2006 since I started using a Glucagon emergency kit, when my sugar goes low, I pass out (2-3 times a month), my wife gives me a shot of Glucagon I wake she gives me sugar (I can't afford the ambulance rides anymore in my area it's $200 to 300 dollars a pop. My DAV SO is basically useless at this point, I asked if they want me to fax the copy of the C&P, no we will wait for the decision is all they say. I have letters from my private MD and a filled out DBQ from him, the examiner took them and MRs, what does the VA rater take into account just the C&P or everything that they have, it's hard to get a straight answer.

Greg

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I'm sorry, let me explain the VA scheduled the exam for June on 6/6 I received the letter from the RO saying that an exam was being scheduled, the problem was I was not at home, since DAV told me not to worry about the exam (the letter was sent out by mistake according to SO) I went away and did not ask my neighbor to highlight what came in the mail, I did'nt even bother checking. I got home on the 25th of June saw that exam was scheduled for the 24th and I had missed it. I called DAV that monday 6/25, they did not get back to me till the 27th, I had called the 800# and explained what happenend, DAV told me to write a letter and explain what happenend, I did, the DAV received the letter on the 29th, I tried calling DAV and got thru on the 6th and received a call back on the 9th, yes they had received my letter of explanation. The DAV SO was reading and suddenly blurts out to me "oh the VA wants to reduce your rating from 100% to 0%", I explode and say bullsh*t they cannot do that, I've been at 40% for 20 years, 60% for the next 2 and 100% for the last 14, I told him that he had told me the intial VA letter was a mistake and the reason that this was happening was because he told me not to worry about it. He then said he was not responsible for what happened. I told him the next phone call is to my congresswomen and his tone immediatley changed, "oh no you don't have to do that" he told me he would talk to the RO and straighten things out. I received nothing from the VA about a reduction, I kept calling but nothing from DAV or the 1-800#, finally on August 6th the DAV SO called me back and told me that my case was with ratings "coach" and not to worry, the following week I went to the RO (DAV is right across the hall from the RO) dropped off pertinent MRs from my private Dr.s and once again was reassured by DAV not to worry, the "coach was taking care of things" The next thing I knew on August 21 I received a letter scheduling new C&PS and thats where the 1st posting down at the bottom begins.

Greg