• hate-ads-subscribe-now.jpg

• Ad
  • Ad
  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ad
Sign in to follow this  

Status Moved To "preparation For Decision" After 2 Years

Well, just about at the point where I was about to let go and fall into another one of my deep depressions and have another manic episode or so it would've seemed, I went online and signed onto ePeggy and, fully expecting to see the same thing I've seen for almost two years ("gathering evidence", a.k.a. "gathering dust") I saw something completely different: the status was "Preparation For Decision" and in my letter generator the letter available for me to print out and prove to people how much disability percentage and payment I receive monthly was not available online. This has peaked my curiosity quite a bit. Along with reading all of yall's posts about your similar situations paired with some expected guidance my local VA rep advised me on recently this all seems to be coming together rather appropritely. Quite odd though being as the VA has never really given me anything but a bottle full of pills that make me high as a kite and years worth of empty promises. Please, brothers and sisters in arms, I would love love love yall's input. Anxiously awaiting! God Bless!!!

10 answers to this question

Sounds Like the ball is definately rolling for you hopefully will move to prep for notification and complete for asap keep the faith and thanks for you service

Then again I've also started checking other's stories out here on the forum and there seem to be a few stories developing with similar traits as far as the claim statuses advancing. What I'm wanting to know is how promising this new development is. If any of yall vets are in the same boat as me right now how long from the point of "preparation for decision" to "complete" does it typically take? I know times can vary widely depending on the VARO so anybody can feel free to chime in with their input. It would be much appreciated. I am from the Waco VARO, so if anybody else is from my area, too, I'd appreciate yall letting me know. Until then, keep your head up and God bless yall :)

It sounds promising, but ebenefits has had some sort of glitch after last Sunday's maintenance. As you stated, every claim is different. I filed my claim on 1/28/2011. It went to Preparation for decision on 12/14/2011 and stayed there until I contacted higher ups on 5/14/2012 and then it went to Pending decision approval on 5/16/2012 and Preparation for Notification on 5/22/2012. Envelope mailed from Houston on 5/29/2012 and rec'd on 5/31/2012. Retro and June's payment in the bank on 6/01/2012. Right now I am waiting on my 4 deferred contentions. After the ebenefits maintenance on 9/23/2012, my claim went from Gathering of Evidence to Preparation for Notification. I called the 1800# on Monday and found it to be bogus. If I were you, I would remain "cautiously" optimistic given Waco's track record. Too many variables as each claim is different to be specific. But Good Luck to You!

Edited by #1Cavtrooper

Wow, that's pretty awesome that you lit a fire under their butts like that back in May. Trust me, I know what you're going through when you have to do something like that. I had to pull some strings like that when getting some senior ranking officials' attention when it came to issues concerning my mental/physical abuse that led to my suicide attempt in the Army. As far as you contacting the "higher ups" as you called it concerning your claim that sat for several months untouched, who exactly are you referring to or what position/office do they hold? We may obviously be in same regions, so giving me a name might possibly render fruitless results. I'd appreciate greatly some information concerning which higher ups you contacted to get the ball rolling as quickly as you did because the more I communicate on the frivolity of my status change the more I am ready to start lighting some fires under people's butts again. I am so sick and freakin' tired of eviction notices, bill collectors and not being able to afford health care for the rest of my family because Eric Shinseki can't manage the Veteran Administration properly enough to take care of myself and my fellow veterans so we can sibside sufficiently.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By JWMN89
      I went online to EBenefits this morning to see if nothing changed after my C&P last month.  It said claim closed and Decision letter sent.  After checking around I found a 70% rating for PTSD and MDD and a 3/15/17 effective date which was when I filed my claim.  I hadn't set up banking info yet so I did that.  Some questions:
      1. Will they mail a retro pay check since I didn't have banking set earlier?
      2.  I know I need to wait for the letter but is EBenefits usually accurate with the rating?
      3.  Is there a certain day of the month VA sends payments (Like social security is always at the start of the month) or is it the claim date each month?
      4.  Where can I find information on how my VA class will change?  I was class 8 before (big copays).
      5.  I have a very good private therapist I'm paying for myself.  Now that I'll have a rating will the VA pay for him or do they only cover their own therapists?
      Thanks for the help!  JW
    • By ZachN73
      Hello! Excuse me if I posted this in the weong section but I have hit a hicup in my claim process. 
      Yesterday my claim changed status to preperation for notification. Then today it changed again. It went to Review of Evidence but in the notes it says the notification letter was sent. Also under disabilities it now says I have a rated 90 percent. 
      So my question is, do I just need to wait for it to update? Is it possible this is some famous ebenny glitch? 
      Also my estimated completetion date changed from 3/29 to 6/06-10/20. 
      Did it actually go back to review of evidence even though it says notification sent AND it now shows I have a rating on my profile? 
      Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!
    • By turtle5252
      When going into "Compensation Status" there are two areas I am having a hard time figuring out. This section shows information requested such as Status 1 through 11, each number is a request for a document or records needed.

Below is an example of what I have on my screen.

1. Date requested: UNKNOWN

2. "NO LONGER REQUIRED" now has the little round circles highlighted in dark grey stating no longer required

I do have 3 Green requested items- #'s 1-10-11

I cannot see what the above status numbers stand for... Every time I call I get a different answer.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me!
    • By Bahchu
      Hello all,

This is my first post in the forum. I got out the service in 2006. I put in the anxiety claims in 2012; first the claim was denied and I appealed finally got 50%. After 50%, I disagreed so I appealed again for anxiety disorder in the past 2 years after VA granted with 50% in 2012. After 2 years waiting, I finally got the Cp exam a month ago for the appeal in 2012 . In 2014, I put in an claim for Iu and I know my criteria does not fit for Iu (50%); but Vocational rehab at VA stated the I'm currently not stable for school that why I put in the IU claim. I only have one job lasted for 6 months since 2006. I have a couple questions regarding the two claim indicated above.

I went to the QTC exam last month, the Doctor agreed that my disability should be at 70% and she specifically told me to put in the IU claim after the increase. But I did put it in already so should this be a problem. Once again, the doctor told me straight up to file for IU.

1. My question is if I'm going to get 70% then retro should be back since day one when the 50% was granted?

2. If IU claim is approved then when is the pay started, 2012 or 2014?

3. Ebenefit for Appeal claim in the past 2 years show no status or changing at all ; but last week it showed that "Statement of the case" sent, is that closed?

4. Ebenefit for IU claim show last week the status was changing back and forth between "preparation for notification" and now back to "pending decision approval" why is this happening?

5. I've called VA in the couple times last week, reps always tell me different answers. First is my appeal is done, and my Iu is pending, but now they said that both cases are done SOC sent the same time. Why the answer different?

6. If the cases done then why the generator is still showing the same status even though the SOC sent last week?

7. If my IU is denied, should I put in and appeal or reconsideration? Should I go back to the QTC doctor and ask for a statement to support the IU if it deny.

Thank you in advance for all the help.
    • By Stu Pidasso
      I started my claim 14-Sep-1010 I was completed and rated 17-Jan-2012. I have been rated at 100% and recieving compensation. That is good I am happy about it. When I got my rating my dependents had not been included so I filled the paperwork out and sent it in. During the last 7-8 months I have waited and not heard anything from VA until last month. I talked to a lady on the phone, and she said that the claim I filed 14-Sep-2010 was still pending and that I just needed to be patient. I told her that was not correct and explained to here that I already had been rated and that I had recieved my confirmation letter. She looked in the computer again and said oh ok, so what is the problem? I explained to her that I was trying to ad my dependents and that I had sent in birth certificates and my marriage license. She told me that she would call me back. That was a month ago. Well this morning she called and left a message telling me that my claim that I filed 14-Sep-2010 had been completed as of today. She also said in the message that my claim for dependents would be processed at this time. She then after that said that she did not have an answer for me as to when I would be recieving my compensation because it had to go the approval department/office. I was blown away by all of this. I logged in to E-benefits and sure enough right there plain as day that my claim is pending. I look in my payment history and you can see where I got my back pay and where I get my compensation every month. So what I am now worried about is that they are going to kick my rating back or worse yet my compensation may be interuppted until someone can figure this out. I have been trying to call the lady back so I can find out what the deal is, but the number she called on only offers me a directory I cannot access. If anyone knows what is going on that would be great. All I was trying to do was add my dependents and get them some health care.
    • By deanbrt
      SOOOOOO.......I pretty much gave up on checking my ebenefits account for any movement on my claim status. Actually I called the 800 number for the VA trying to get some info on what was going on with my GI bill since they decided to move it from one office to another and didin't "know where it was" haha. Anyway, so I go through and to my surprise 2 things happened I never expected: They not only found my Education file but they put a rush on it and my back pay will be coming through next week, ANNNDD there was a note attached to my medical claim saying something along the lines of should be done this week! whoa.

I do have a question I see a lot of you who are getting downloadable letters before the offical letter comes in the mail in "the brown envelope" haha. Whats the difference? I've never seen either and i'm curious and also when does the electronic one show up? the day that they complete the claim?

Thanks in advance for any responses!
  • Our picks

• e-Benefits Status Messages 

Claims Process – Your claim can go from any step to back a step depending on the specifics of the claim, so you may go from Pending Decision Approval back to Review of Evidence. Ebenefits status is helpful but not definitive. Continue Reading
      • 0 replies
    • I was rated at 10% for tinnitus last year by the VA. I went to my private doctor yesterday and I described to him the problems that I have been having with my sense of balance. Any sudden movement of my head or movement while sitting in my desk chair causes me to lose my balance and become nauseous. Also when seeing TV if there are certain scenes,such as movement across or up and down the screen my balance is affected. The doctor said that what is causing the problem is Meniere's Disease. Does any know if this could be secondary to tinnitus and if it would be rated separately from the tinnitus? If I am already rated at 10% for tinnitus and I could filed for Meniere's does any one know what it might be rated at? Thanks for your help. 68mustang
      • 15 replies
    • Feb 2018 on HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran. Sharing top posts and a few statistics with you.
      • 0 replies
    • I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67. 
    • If you are new to hadit and have DIC questions it would help us tremendously if you can answer the following questions right away in your first post.

What was the Primary Cause of Death (# 1) as listed on your spouse’s death certificate?

What,if anything, was listed as a contributing cause under # 2?

Was an autopsy done and if so do you have a complete copy of it?

It can be obtained through the Medical Examiner’s office in your locale.

What was the deceased veteran service connected for in his/her lifetime?

Did they have a claim pending at death and if so what for?

If they died from anything on the Agent Orange Presumptive list ( available here under a search) when did they serve and where? If outside of Vietnam, what was their MOS and also if they served onboard a ship in the South Pacific what ship were they on and when? Also did they have any major  physical  contact with C 123s during the Vietnam War?

And how soon after their death was the DIC form filed…if filed within one year of death, the date of death will be the EED for DIC and also satisfy the accrued regulation criteria.
      • 14 replies