VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gulf War Presumtive Gi Bleed

Rate this question

Fred Bear

Question

I just recently got out of the hospital for emergency surgery on my bowels. I had to have 15" of my colon removed because of a bleed. I ended up with a costomy bag that the Dr feels he can reverse in about 6 months. Because this came out of the blue and the Dr could not figure out what caused this I started to do a little research and quickly came across the Gulf War presumptive conditions and one of them is GI problems.

On to my questions -

1. Because this is presumptive and I did serve in the Gulf War do I automaticly rate a VA dissability?

2. Should it be code 7333 and @ 100% because I do have a colostomy bag?

3. If reversed, what would my rating be at that point?

any info would be appreciated. In either a positve or negative direction. I am currently rated at 40% because of a back condition and a severed thumb.

another question is, my medical bills, Because this was an emergency and not VA connected I went to the civilian hospital. If rated by the VA are any of my medical bills covered?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Unknown. Like I said just came out of the blue. But if I read things right, this is a presumptive condition that is recognized by the involvement in the Gulf War Theater of operations

I think it is a difficult win.

The main problem is that the presumptive is for

a group of conditions marked by chronic or recurrent symptoms related to any part of the gastrointestinal tract. Functional condition refers to an abnormal function of an organ, without a structural alteration in the tissues

the fail is because you had an acute attack, not a chronic or recurrent condition. You also had structural alteration in the tissues. ie, you had 15 inches of colon removed. Once the colostemy bag is removed you won't have any chronic conditions remaining except a scar.

Now if it happens again and it is considered chronic then you may have a chance.

The other way to service connect is directly. Did you have any injuries (listed in your SMR's) to your abdomen?

If so, then you would need a strong IMO to connect this current condition to your in service injury.

My opinion only.

so....presumptive is only if I start having problems and they reoccur not if they get bad enough to warrant emergency surgery times 2??? That makes no sense,

in other words, if a veteran has GI problems flare up and he gets rated, then it gets bad enough to warrant surgery and removal of an organ he is no longer affected???

I'm not following the logic. I thought presumptive ment that the problem was presumed to have occurred because of involvement in the Gulf War. I have lost an organ and gained a bag because of a condition that is "presumed" because of Gulf War involvement.