VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does Anybody Know About These Conditions?

Rate this question

fiasco007

Question

Does anybody know about:

* Viral Gastroenteritis

* Essential hypertrigly ceridermia

I was diagnosed with these, but the VA, C&P says they were not caused by the active duty service, "see my sig block" I dont know much about these conditions, and how or if they are affecting me. I know I feel like ish everyday in pain everyday, and no Drs have been able to explain why. but is it possible to be compensated form them, or they are the reason for the way I feel?

Thanks in advance, you guys are great!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

While I am not familiar with the maladies you mentioned, there is more than one road to 100%. Are you working?

If you are using a CPAP for your OSA, then that should be at 50%, which would be enough for you to meet the schedular requirements of IU, provided you are unable to maintain substantial gainful employment.

YOu could appeal, if your decision is within a year. If your decision has been longer ago, then you could reopen due to New and Material evidence CFR 3.156 b, or, if this is related to military service records, that is even better (38 CFR 3.156 c) as it may entitle you to an earlier effective date.

Finally, if none of these won benefits with an appropriate effective date, you could try a CUE based on the wrong diagnostic code for your CPAP, or, take your file to an attorney and have him look for CUE.

Thanks for the reply. No, no CPAP. I was just at the threshhold of not needing it, and they actually gave me the rating due to hypersomnolence (sp) which could still be bumped up, I know several folks who get 50-70% because of it. I am actually still active duty, and i'm going through the med board, the AF wants to retire me, and i am a year short of my 20. So, I will appeal their decision and play the waiting game. Just trying to strect it out a year.

While I am not familiar with the maladies you mentioned, there is more than one road to 100%. Are you working?

If you are using a CPAP for your OSA, then that should be at 50%, which would be enough for you to meet the schedular requirements of IU, provided you are unable to maintain substantial gainful employment.

YOu could appeal, if your decision is within a year. If your decision has been longer ago, then you could reopen due to New and Material evidence CFR 3.156 b, or, if this is related to military service records, that is even better (38 CFR 3.156 c) as it may entitle you to an earlier effective date.

Finally, if none of these won benefits with an appropriate effective date, you could try a CUE based on the wrong diagnostic code for your CPAP, or, take your file to an attorney and have him look for CUE.

Going back to the start of this post, I don't know anything about these specific conditions. That being said, if you are currently AD and these conditions started during active duty, then they are service connected, unless they were identified on your enlistment physical.

The other issue would be are they acute conditions that have resolved?

As for feeling like "ISH" and in pain, you have a whole lot of conditions that do create discomfort and pain, unfortunately for the most part VA does not really rate on pain or quality of life.

Best regards,

Another thought on this.

Have they indicated a cause for the non-obstructive sleep apnea? Some non-obstructive sleep apnea is related to cardiac conditions and some to phrenic nerve impingment as well as other causes.

Have they ever stress tested you or done a standard EKG or Echo?

Just some additional things to think on.

Best regards,