VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing A Claim Through E Benefits

Rate this question

tugger50

Question

Has anyone had sucess filing through the web site directly? Does it make any differance?

I'm not casting any aspersions on the many VSO's that work hard to submit claims. My VSO submitted my claim and missed that WITH my hearing loss Tinnitus should have been included. He is part time and it's hard to get to talk with him. My VSO cannot access my claim status, he has to contact the Seattle office and they do it. My observance is that most of the ones in that particular office are just paper shufflers.

I have learned so much from this site that I feel I can do it myself. So, I'm wondering if a veteran might be better served if they boned up on the info available on this site and filed themselves.

If the Veteran was up to the task would they do just as well by filing online? I'm sure that the wait time is similar but at least they would feel like they were in control, and that's not a bad thing.

Just wondering.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Good advice everyone.

I filed online with VONAPP today.

I used form 21-4138 so I could add two items to my existing claim. This shouldn't slow it down to much as they relate to stuff I've already claimed.

I'll be sure and give copies to my VSO so that they have it too.

Well I know a lot of vets on here do not like the VSO's. Well I for one do, my VSO got my my hearing and tinnitus rating. He had a fast track letter ID'ing the MOS that the VA recognizing as causing hearing lost.The first one wasa 11B, which was my MOS. So I give my VSO a 2 thumb up. Now the VA rating managers in Atlanta is something else, everything that comes from his office is denied. I guess he is clearing out the back log before the year ends.JMHO

Tugger..

There are quite a few that agree with you, that VSO's are worthless. Sometimes VSO's are even less than worthless..they sabatoge your claim instead of helping.

My county VSO "decided" that there was no point in keeping "inactive" Vets claims and shredded them all! They define "inactive" as a Vet who has not filed in 2 years.

In 2 years, most Vets are still in the "development" phase. A few are in appeals. Almost none of these already have their benefits. I guess the county VSO's buy into the VA's 125 day malarky. So, the Vet thinks his VSO will "take care of him". That is exactly what the VA wants you to think. Your VSO will "take care" of you allright. Remember, they get "free rent" at the VAMC's and VARO's...so, how do they pay their rent? You guessed it. lost paperwork. Advising Vets, "Ah...nah..you should not appeal...just be happy with what you got". And, "looking the other way" when the VA shreds your evidence, and advise congress to pass new laws which hurt Vets.

The VSO's opposed attorney representation for Vets. They said we did not need attorneys, we get VSO's for free. Did you ever wonder why the VSO's could not figure out the VA was shredding evidence in 2008? Oh, they knew it and just looked the other way.

I still have a VSO..he is being replaced by my attorney. But, every time I go there, I bring the vaseline jar because I know what the VSO does to me will hurt.

the current nso's employed by dav here in florida are for the most part a bunch of blithering idiots. they will tell me how screwed up the va is. but in reality, they are worse.

Well I know a lot of vets on here do not like the VSO's. Well I for one do, my VSO got my my hearing and tinnitus rating. He had a fast track letter ID'ing the MOS that the VA recognizing as causing hearing lost.The first one wasa 11B, which was my MOS. So I give my VSO a 2 thumb up. Now the VA rating managers in Atlanta is something else, everything that comes from his office is denied. I guess he is clearing out the back log before the year ends.JMHO

Allow me to elucidate. You would have won the tinnitus/ hearing with or without the VSO. 11B is a "No duh!" for hearing loss. So is Artillery. The next thing you need to know is VA hands out hearing loss/tinnitus at 0% like beaded necklaces at Mardi Gras. Try going for TDIU on hearing or 20% for that matter. You'd have to have almost total loss in one ear and a goodly amount in the other to even talk about 40%. Tinnitus is 10% max. or $1.25 a month. Peanuts. VA is not so forthcoming when it comes time to go over 30%. Ask Vietnam Vets with DM2. VA doesn't want to start paying the better half and the rug rats. Always remember, they are an insurance company albeit a government one. The object is to save the company money by denying. Why is that such a hard concept to absorb? 85% of us hit the wall- many of whom are deserving. After a good 10 year fight some win all they are owed. I'm into it 23 years. VA is still fighting me. Why? That's what they do. They have tons of lawyers and money. You, on the other hand, do not. I will prevail if I can live long enough. I just want them to admit they cheated in 89. I'v almost maxed my rating. Money isn't the issue. It never was.

Has anyone had sucess filing through the web site directly? Does it make any differance?

I'm not casting any aspersions on the many VSO's that work hard to submit claims. My VSO submitted my claim and missed that WITH my hearing loss Tinnitus should have been included. He is part time and it's hard to get to talk with him. My VSO cannot access my claim status, he has to contact the Seattle office and they do it. My observance is that most of the ones in that particular office are just paper shufflers.

I have learned so much from this site that I feel I can do it myself. So, I'm wondering if a veteran might be better served if they boned up on the info available on this site and filed themselves.

If the Veteran was up to the task would they do just as well by filing online? I'm sure that the wait time is similar but at least they would feel like they were in control, and that's not a bad thing.

Just wondering.

I have assisted many veterans that filed their claim on line through ebenefits. After a couple of months they call Peggy to find out the status of their claim. The answer they receive "no record of claim on file" You would be best to complete the paperwork, make copies and send your claim to the VA certified.. just my humble opinion...