VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim Letter

Rate this question

Whirly Bird

Question

Hi all. I'm filing a claim for ptsd and my wife wrote the following letter to submit. Please take a look at it and let me know if I'm missing anything. I have a ptsd diagnosis, verified combat award, and notes from the va psych linking them together. Do I need anything else?

thanks,

To whom it may concern,

I am filing a claim for service connection of PTSD.

I have been diagnosed to have combat-related Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) by a VA Psychologist, and I am currently undergoing treatment for the disorder at the VA Medical Center. The VA Psychologist has linked my PTSD to my combat related stressors.

I served in combat as a Marine Helicopter Machine Gunner, and was awarded the Combat Aircrew Insignia with 3 bronze stars. I was also awarded the Air Medal with 2 Strike Flight Awards for these missions.

My original DD-214 did not have the Combat Aircrew Insignia listed on it when I was discharged, so I contacted the Navy Personnel Command Retired Records Section and requested that the Combat Aircrew Insignia be added to my DD-214.

I recently received a corrected DD-215 that has the Combat Aircrew Insignia with 3 Bronze Stars added to my record. I have attached a copy of it as evidence for my claim.

I have also attached a copy of M21-1MR, Part IV, Subpart ii, 1.D.13.e, which states that my award of the Combat Aircrew Insignia qualifies as proof of my combat experience.

I have also attached a copy of M21-1MR, Part IV, Subpart ii, 1.D.13.f, which states that If a Veteran received one of the combat decorations cited in “e”, but does not expressly state the nature of the stressor, the VA should assume that the stressor is combat-related.

I have been having nightmares & panic attacks 3 to 4 times a week for years since returning from the war. I can’t stand to be in crowds of people. Before the war, I was very outgoing and had many friends, but I now have very few, if any “real” friends (besides my buddies that were over there with me), and I stay at home most of the time when I’m not at work and avoid all social events. I have trouble getting along with others at home and at work. I am always on alert, always... I constantly have this weird feeling that something bad is going to happen, even though I know that it isn’t rational to think this way. This disorder has severely affected my social and work life.

Thank you,

xxxx

Edited by Whirly Bird

Whirly,

Looks real good but I think you might be able to save

yourself and the VA some time and a C&P exam by

asking your VAMC - MH providers to fill out a DBQ Form

that they can obtain from the VA itself.

It would need to be VA Form 21-0960P4 - Initial Diagnosis Of PTSD.

Below I will leave you a link for more info, but this should certainly

help speed things up if your MH doc's will fill it out so you can go ahead and

submit it WITH your claim.

JMHO

Q: Will VA use DBQs for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)?

A: Yes.:

However there are two separate DBQs for PTSD depending on whether the Veteran has already been told by VA that he or she is “service connected” for PTSD. If the Veteran has already been told by VA that he or she is “service connected” for PTSD, then a private mental health provider may complete a Review PTSD DBQ (VA Form 21-0960P3).

However, if a Veteran has not already been told by VA that he or she is “service connected,” then a DBQ for the initial diagnosis of PTSD (VA Form 21-0960P4) must be completed by a VA mental health provider. The Initial PTSD DBQ cannot be completed by a private mental health provider.

http://benefits.va.gov/TRANSFORMATION/dbqs/FAQS.asp

Thanks for the link Carlie!

I'll see if I can get my VA MH Doc to fill out the initial diagnosis of PTSD form before I submit the claim. It would sure be nice to get rated without having to go thru a C&P exam. I HATE C&P EXAMS! Talk about panic attacks.....they definitely bring em on...

thanks again.

Edited by Whirly Bird

Well Gang. Been gone a while, thought I'd update my thread.

I tried to get my VA Psychologist and my VA Psychiatrist to fill out the DBQ form for me and neither one of them would do it.

Both said that it wasn't their job, and that I would have to wait for a C&P exam.

So much for that I guess.......

Now I'll wait a freakin year or more for an exam that my either of my VA Docs could have done for me in 30 minutes time.

What a CROCK!

Sorry, but this is just getting old and I'm tired...

I do not know if this would work, and do not know if it would be in your budget, but I would start going to a private shrink. They are more likely to do the DBQ for you. Also, I do not know if the Vet Center would be willing to do this. BTW, if you have to go the C&P route, please read the rules and the way to act at these exams. The two PTSD exams that I had, they would ask me how I was feeling. Please, do not tell them you are feeling GREAT!! You might be, but it is how you feel on a daily basis. I told one that I feel like an elephant is sitting on my face, and passing gas.

Papa