VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Was Previously Denied In 2009 For Not Providing Evidence. New Claim In 2011... Help.

Rate this question

minibouncer

Question

Hi all, first post here. Let me say thanks for the help before I get started, if any.

I was pressured by my family and friends back in 2009 to "go to the VA to get help". I didn't really know what the VA was all about, granted I was a younger vet who just returned from Combat in 2006 with the Marines trying to transfer into civilian life. (which would prove to be harder than we all thought).

I figured they meant filing a claim for my PTSD (and not treatment), so I did.

I was given a series of letters asking me to account for my evidence of PTSD. Not wanting to deal with all that nonsense, I threw it out like a true jarhead,continued on my way, and eventually got my denial letter.

Fast forward a few years later, my life had hit rock bottom. Relationship problems, aggression problems, depression issues, substance abuse, driving down the center of roads and around cracks to "avoid the IEDs", trouble at work, (and much worse) etc etc...... I realized I needed help. That's when I turned back to the VA to get the treatment I needed. I struggled with that too. I would go to a VA center and talk to a counselor, and attended group therapy for a while until that fell apart for me. I still struggle to get into the VA because part of my problem is wanting to confront and deal with it.

Anyway, I had opened a claim again for my PTSD in 2011. I was diagnosed, and given medicine as well.

My question is: Since my claim was denied for PTSD in 2009, is it possible to make another claim like I did.... with new evidence ...and now receive a rating? I am moving into the last stages of the claim (I think) and will receive notification soon. I just hate to know I have pretty severe symptoms and not be compensated for it because of a silly mistake I made while in the midst of my problems.

Thank you.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, do you have a combat ribbon? I don't think you will be able to get retro back to 2009 because you let the appeal period run out of time. Can you post the 2009 denial so we can look at why exactly they denied it. If you are a combat vet you don't have to prove you were in life threatening situation. It is assumed. The VA may have made an error. Don't drop your present claim under any circumstance.

To help support your claim for PTSD you will need proof of treatment from the VA.Go and ask for copies of your psychiatric treatment records, it may take a few days because for mental health records many times it requires for the doctor release them to you....I fought a battle with the VA over my PTSD for several years, they kept denying it claiming that their was no evidence of it.Then I started seeing a VA shrink regularly, was prescribed meds and diagnosed by her as having PTSD.I also attended a PTSD group at my local VA clinic once a week that was documented in my records.After a year of this I obtained copies from Mental Health of my records showing over a years worth of appointments with the shrink (with a PTSD diagnosis) and the group therapy appointments all at the VA.I then sent in a claim using the Fully Supported Claim program.The VA had previously accepted my exposure to combat so that was not a problem.2 months after the claim I was sent to a C&P exam to a VA contract doctor.Less than a month later I recieved a notification that I was awarded 70% for PTSD/Major Depressive disorder.This was a wonderful suppries as I was hoping for a rating of 50% but was really expecting 30%.........Insure that you inform the VA of all of your symptoms and problems caused by your PTSD and all the PTSD related meds you take.I currently take 3 different anti-depressants but have leveled out, am not always in a rage or depressed and have greatly improved my work attendance record, have more energy and a better outlook.....So keep going to treatment and establish a good solid paper trail............................................Grid

Hi all, first post here. Let me say thanks for the help before I get started, if any.

I was pressured by my family and friends back in 2009 to "go to the VA to get help". I didn't really know what the VA was all about, granted I was a younger vet who just returned from Combat in 2006 with the Marines trying to transfer into civilian life. (which would prove to be harder than we all thought).

I figured they meant filing a claim for my PTSD (and not treatment), so I did.

I was given a series of letters asking me to account for my evidence of PTSD. Not wanting to deal with all that nonsense, I threw it out like a true jarhead,continued on my way, and eventually got my denial letter.

mini - what exactly - is stated in this denial letter, under the Reasons and Bases Section ?

Fast forward a few years later, my life had hit rock bottom. Relationship problems, aggression problems, depression issues, substance abuse, driving down the center of roads and around cracks to "avoid the IEDs", trouble at work, (and much worse) etc etc...... I realized I needed help. That's when I turned back to the VA to get the treatment I needed. I struggled with that too. I would go to a VA center and talk to a counselor, and attended group therapy for a while until that fell apart for me. I still struggle to get into the VA because part of my problem is wanting to confront and deal with it.

Anyway, I had opened a claim again for my PTSD in 2011. I was diagnosed, and given medicine as well.

My question is: Since my claim was denied for PTSD in 2009, is it possible to make another claim like I did.... with new evidence ...and now receive a rating? I am moving into the last stages of the claim (I think) and will receive notification soon.

mini - of course it's possible and sounds like you have already done it and are

waiting on a decision for your re-opened claim. Hang in there and keep getting

medical care. Sometimes decisions are not so quick in coming but hopefully

you will have some answers before too long.

Without knowing what was stated in the denial, it's nothing but speculation to even

guess at the outcome for now.

I just hate to know I have pretty severe symptoms and not be compensated for it because of a silly mistake I made while in the midst of my problems.

Thank you.