VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused-Dic And Figuring Out My Net Worth Portion

mrs rockman (widow of vet)

Question

I understand that you have to list all monies in cash, bank accounts,CD's, retirement plans, stocks, bonds etc.

Then this is what we can deduct to get the net worth:

I was told that I needed to get the following:

Itemize a list of both of our medical expenses from 09/29/11 (date Rockman was considered 100% P&T) to one year from that date.

Health Insurance premiums

Also the VSO said that they would deduct the amount that our house was appraised at. This does not seem to be correct.

On page 5 of the 21-534, it has this:

"VA cannot pay you pension if your net worth is sizeable. Net worth is the market value of all interest and rights you have in any kind of property less any mortgages or other claims against your property. However, net worth does not include the house you live in or a reasonable area of land it sits on.

I am so confused. It looks like at one place I list my house ( value or mortgage balance) and then it looks like that my house should not be included.

I AM SO CONFUSED. I was thinking about transferring the money to pay off what little mortgage I have, so I could "exist" some. I am afraid that if I pay it off, it may hurt the bottom line as far as net worth is concerned.

Can anyone give me some advice. I am having a hard time concentrating, but I do want to get it done correctly, so VA does not mess me over!!

Celia

Mrs. Rockman

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Celia,

I know it hard to keep focused and you are wanting to

file it right the first time trying to avoid all the pit falls.

p. 5

33e. Real property (not your home)

Also, at this point I WOULD NOT pay off the mortgage

and if you plan to stay in that home until you are gone,

please, please, please - do not re-fi and suck all the equity out

of it and end up with a new big mortgage.

Carlie,

The only reason that I wanted to pay off the mortgage is that right now I am drawing 'ZERO" amount per month, not yet with DIC and not with Social Security. I just turned 62 in May. All I owe on the house is (after the payment that will come out tomorrow) will be only $15,950.00. The only other bill will be the car Rockman bought me last December. We have knocked almost half off of it. He wanted me to have a reliable car. If I pay the house off and some on the car, then I may be able to make it for several several months on the amount that I have tucked back( without relying on DIC), for I know it takes awhile to even get it.

As of 09/29/11, David was 100% service connected for his heart. On his death certificate it has:

a. Cardiac arrest-something something,I cannot read, and then /CHF

b. Systolic Heart Failure

c. Pulmonary Hypertension

d. Severe Pulmonary Fibrosis

Even though he died of a service connected disease, can they decide to not grant me the DIC if I have assets? These assets are what will keep me going until I die. The VSO guy said that they can decide not to grant me DIC and would want me to spend my money first. If you are considering a lifetime, my amounts are really not so great, if you divide them up into a yearly amounts.

I wonder why he said that I would deduct the amount of the house to get the net worth? It does seem crazy!

I hate to go on and on, but I have to make sure I have all my i's dotted and t's crossed. After all we are dealing with the US Government and then you add the mighty VA onto it, and there you have it!

Any additional help you can give me will be very much appreciated.

I have found more medical bills and tomorrow I will get the total from our chiropractor that David went to every other week.

God Bless and have a good night (or actually it is already morning!).

Celia

• HadIt.com Elder

The mortgage balance is a negative value, like the house value. It's money you owe, even though the house value is not part of your assets for VA purposes.

So the appraised value of the house gets deducted from/is not part of the VA net worth, along with the outstanding loan amounts, and any bills due/not paid etc..

In theory, since your husband died due to service connected conditions, the DIC is applicable, and not dependent upon net worth. However, if the VA tries to weasel out, and your assets and income are low enough, you would likely get a "Death Pension" anyway.

A "Death Pension" is based upon VA net worth.

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

Your net worth has no bearing on your DIC and you should not have to fill that part out, unless you are looking for a widow's death pension. If he was 100% for his heart you should get DIC easily and within a few months of his death, provided you've applied. You should be eligible for his SS. If I recall correctly, you can get it at 60yo. You should call them today.

pr

Your net worth has no bearing on your DIC and you should not have to fill that part out, unless you are looking for a widow's death pension. If he was 100% for his heart you should get DIC easily and within a few months of his death, provided you've applied. You should be eligible for his SS. If I recall correctly, you can get it at 60yo. You should call them today.

pr

pr,

Thanks buddy - we could really use your help in this forum (DIC).