VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fibromyalgia

Rate this question

flyfisher

Question

I served in the Persian Gulf during Desert Shield and Desert Storm. I have been recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia/ Myofascial syndrome by two seperate nurse practioners one of them being my primary care provider and the other in the pain clinic. My primary care provider filled out a Disability Benefits Questionnaire where she stated by pain was not responding to treatment and that her opinion that it was least as likely as not related to my service in the Persian Gulf and exposure to possible environmental causes. I have filed a claim with my VSO and still waiting on a decision. My primary care provider has completed all the blood work to rule out other causes such as arthritis. I have been referrred to neurology and rheumatolgy but have been denied to be seen as they tell me to be treated for chronic pain in response to the referrals.

Has anyone else who served in the Persian Gulf claimed fibromyalgia as a presumptive illness and been granted service connection. I am trying to gain information in case my claim gets denied. Any help would be appreciated.

The pain is chronic and widespread. Most often and including compensation regs you need to have pain located in several pressure points on your body. Example pressure points are front / back of neck,elbows, upper/lower back, top of legs right your butt and knees. Other symptoms can be sleep problems . Fibro is often associated with depression , anxiety and PTSD . You can have pain but if you don't have pain in those pressure points then it's hard for diagnosis to be made. For service connection you have to have pain in a certain amount of those pressure points. There is a lot of good info on the internet. I am a RN so if I can be of further assistance let me know. NOT professional advice just a little help from a fellow vet! LOL That's my disclaimer.

Yes Ray I was diagnosed probably about 2 years ago. They have me on the upper limits of Lyrica but my pain still runs around a five. If there is change in weather or I have been overactive it will go to a 6 or 7. Sorry about the late reply.

Hello Flyfisher, I am interested about hearing more about your pressure points and perhaps about the onset of your problems.

I am 27 y/o male who deployed 2x to Iraq totaling nearly 21 months of service in theater. I have multiple possible exposures including: biological, anthrax and smallpox vaccines, burn pits, etc etc. I have a history of inflammatory problems throughout service and after service that were nonexistant in my life and I have no family history of these types of medical problems. My wife and I have been dealing with these ailments for years on our own, however I am SC for PTSD and arthritis in both ankles, sinusitis, etc. I do go to the VA mental health clinic and see a psychologist there.

I am very concerned about my health as of right now. I have bad pain in my feet, ankles, knees, wrists, neck, inner elbow, hip, back 24/7. I also have point tenderness at nearly all tendons and points of attachment of my lower extremities. My wife is a massage therapist and she is amazed at how tender and how many points on my body are inflamed on a daily basis. I have been diagnosed with costochondritis, have early onset of hammer toes, etc. Honestly, the pain is now coming to a point where it severely effects me every day of my life. I have a 3 year old son who I simply cannot be active with. I am having more pain, more stiffness, less mobility, and as a result, more depressive thoughts and feelings as the days roll on. I also have many other symptoms related to PTSD and who knows what including memory loss and trouble concentrating.

Over the years, I have continually told my primary care at the local VA about my pain and she would reply "well there's not much we can do about that other than offer you medications." Now I am at a point where I think all of these separate issues could be apart of something greater. I am now trying to go to the WRIISC in DC to go through their diagnostic tests, and hope I can get some type of diagnosis or SOME type of answers. I am very upset about my primary care not having the wherewithal to do some blood tests or even consider the possibility of some type of degenerative condition which I fear I may have as a result of exposures.

A little history. I eat well, I am one of those "organic" people. I eat raw fruit and veggies, nuts and generally eat very healthy. I understand micronutrients and nutrition. I am a student of biology at USF with a history working in healthcare. I buy awesome shoes that support my feet properly. I try and exercise to the best of my ability, and I am not overweight. I take my vitamins and drink plenty of water daily. I do not smoke and have limited alcohol consumption. I try and make make conscious health decisions every single day and yet I have these debilitating aches and pains all day every day.

Sorry for the crazy long post, but I've been out for 5 years, been dealing with this for 6, and I am just looking for some possible answers. After looking at the onset/symptoms for fibro and RA I am concerned about my undiagnosed ailments.

Thank you,
OIFMedic

Edited by OIFMedic

OIFMedic

Posted Today, 11:14 AM

Hello Flyfisher, I am interested about hearing more about your pressure points and perhaps about the onset of your problems.

I am 27 y/o male who deployed 2x to Iraq totaling nearly 21 months of service in theater. I have multiple possible exposures including: biological, anthrax and smallpox vaccines, burn pits, etc etc. I have a history of inflammatory problems throughout service and after service that were nonexistant in my life and I have no family history of these types of medical problems. My wife and I have been dealing with these ailments for years on our own, however I am SC for PTSD and arthritis in both ankles, sinusitis, etc. I do go to the VA mental health clinic and see a psychologist there.

I am very concerned about my health as of right now. I have bad pain in my feet, ankles, knees, wrists, neck, inner elbow, hip, back 24/7. I also have point tenderness at nearly all tendons and points of attachment of my lower extremities. My wife is a massage therapist and she is amazed at how tender and how many points on my body are inflamed on a daily basis. I have been diagnosed with costochondritis, have early onset of hammer toes, etc. Honestly, the pain is now coming to a point where it severely effects me every day of my life. I have a 3 year old son who I simply cannot be active with. I am having more pain, more stiffness, less mobility, and as a result, more depressive thoughts and feelings as the days roll on. I also have many other symptoms related to PTSD and who knows what including memory loss and trouble concentrating.

Over the years, I have continually told my primary care at the local VA about my pain and she would reply "well there's not much we can do about that other than offer you medications." Now I am at a point where I think all of these separate issues could be apart of something greater. I am now trying to go to the WRIISC in DC to go through their diagnostic tests, and hope I can get some type of diagnosis or SOME type of answers. I am very upset about my primary care not having the wherewithal to do some blood tests or even consider the possibility of some type of degenerative condition which I fear I may have as a result of exposures.

A little history. I eat well, I am one of those "organic" people. I eat raw fruit and veggies, nuts and generally eat very healthy. I understand micronutrients and nutrition. I am a student of biology at USF with a history working in healthcare. I buy awesome shoes that support my feet properly. I try and exercise to the best of my ability, and I am not overweight. I take my vitamins and drink plenty of water daily. I do not smoke and have limited alcohol consumption. I try and make make conscious health decisions every single day and yet I have these debilitating aches and pains all day every day.

Sorry for the crazy long post, but I've been out for 5 years, been dealing with this for 6, and I am just looking for some possible answers. After looking at the onset/symptoms for fibro and RA I am concerned about my undiagnosed ailments.

Thank you,

OIFMedic

The thing about fibromyalgia is not only there is no cure; there is no standard of medical treatment. Medication that works for one person may not work for another. There is no standard of laboratory test to prove or disprove that a person has it. There is no magic pill to take away the pain. The only thing a person can do is try to see a rheumatologist for management. I say management because I have had several rheumatologists to tell me that they cannot do anything for me except monitor my condition to see if and when I may need surgery. They have also told me that I will most likely not need surgery because my pain is in my muscles, nerves, and tendons. Fibromyalgia is a bear to deal with. It is very frustrating and depressing knowing that you are very limited in the things that you can do and there is nothing you can do about it. Keep in mind that fibromyalgia is a cluster of symptoms from; Fatigue, IBS, Migraines, Sleep Disorder, trigger point pain, numbness and tingling in your extremities and other conditions that will just irritate you. Most doctors' will try to treat the separate symptoms but all that does is put medication in your body that seems not to work but if you don't take the medication you feel worst. I hope you find some help but unfortunately I have not.

Edited by pete992