VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fibromyalgia

Rate this question

flyfisher

Question

I served in the Persian Gulf during Desert Shield and Desert Storm. I have been recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia/ Myofascial syndrome by two seperate nurse practioners one of them being my primary care provider and the other in the pain clinic. My primary care provider filled out a Disability Benefits Questionnaire where she stated by pain was not responding to treatment and that her opinion that it was least as likely as not related to my service in the Persian Gulf and exposure to possible environmental causes. I have filed a claim with my VSO and still waiting on a decision. My primary care provider has completed all the blood work to rule out other causes such as arthritis. I have been referrred to neurology and rheumatolgy but have been denied to be seen as they tell me to be treated for chronic pain in response to the referrals.

Has anyone else who served in the Persian Gulf claimed fibromyalgia as a presumptive illness and been granted service connection. I am trying to gain information in case my claim gets denied. Any help would be appreciated.

The thing about fibromyalgia is not only there is no cure; there is no standard of medical treatment. Medication that works for one person may not work for another. There is no standard of laboratory test to prove or disprove that a person has it. There is no magic pill to take away the pain. The only thing a person can do is try to see a rheumatologist for management. I say management because I have had several rheumatologists to tell me that they cannot do anything for me except monitor my condition to see if and when I may need surgery. They have also told me that I will most likely not need surgery because my pain is in my muscles, nerves, and tendons. Fibromyalgia is a bear to deal with. It is very frustrating and depressing knowing that you are very limited in the things that you can do and there is nothing you can do about it. Keep in mind that fibromyalgia is a cluster of symptoms from; Fatigue, IBS, Migraines, Sleep Disorder, trigger point pain, numbness and tingling in your extremities and other conditions that will just irritate you. Most doctors' will try to treat the separate symptoms but all that does is put medication in your body that seems not to work but if you don't take the medication you feel worst. I hope you find some help but unfortunately I have not.

I've been suffering from fibromyalgia (SC 70%) for the past 7 years or so. It is very widespread and there are always pressure points at so many various places throughout my body. It ranges anywhere from very sharp pains that dissipate after a minute to dull, throbbing to waves of aches that roll up from my ankles to my back. I suffer dyssomnia (repeated interrupted sleep from aches), chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic flu-like symptoms, headaches, malaise, fibro-fog, and flattened effect. Along with that I suffer from chronic lower-back, hip, knee (bilateral), ankle (bilateral), shoulder and neck pain, neuropathy, and arthritis from injuries I sustained while in the Infantry Mortars.

From the research I had done over the years, Gulf-War syndrome/fibromyalgia syndrome has been thought to be attributed to experimental flu-shots they had been inoculating the troops with in preparation for deployment to the Middle-East. I actually served 2 one-year long tours on the DMZ in Korea and never actually went to combat. However, we were prepared for rapid-deployment at that time in '91, meaning we all had our shots and we were ready to go. The suspected toxic chemical thought to be responsible was "Squalene MF59".

I had taken opiate-based pain meds for years but I decided to stop due to how destructive they had become to every part of my life. I started taking Tramadol, Gabapentin, and some other non-opiate pain meds but nothing was really strong enough.

What I did find, however, is that medical marijuana has the biggest impact on my fibromyalgia and the other symptoms I suffer from. It doesn't relieve all the pain, but in combination with my other VA meds, it allows me to be much more mobile.

I wouldn't say it is as much of a pain reliever as it is a very powerful anti-inflammatory...which inadvertently reduces pain through the reduction of inflammation of the joints and muscles.

Hope that helps

Had to resurrect this thread. I posted here in 2014/2015 regarding my symptoms and situation.

I am now rated at 90%. A few weeks ago, I received confirmation that the VA has officially rated my fibromyalgia at 40% and my IBS at 30%, max ratings for both. These two additional ratings only raised me 10%. 

I can say that, if it were not for me pushing my VA primary care (who over and over said there's nothing she can do for me) to send me to the War Related Illness and Injury Study Center in Washington, DC (it's regional based) then I would not have made the progress that I have made, OR received the max ratings on my claims. I implore ANY VETERAN suffering from these Gulf War Illness symptoms to educate yourself on the WRIISC and go to your VA PRIMARY CARE so that they can REFER you to the WRIISC. It will take a long time, like everything with the VA, but stick with it. Stick with it, OK? After receiving these ratings, I have put in for a Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (which between the ptsd/fibro/CFS, I am either in debilitating pain, my brain won't "wake up" or I am in such a frustrated/anxious state that I simply cannot function) C&P exam.

My primary care (NON-VA) physician in Florida has set me up for such success, I feel like I won the lotto with him. He is an amazing physician, family man, he has his degrees in psychology, general medicine, and medical law. While becoming BAR certified, he volunteered at his law school which had a "veterans advocacy clinic" where he used his medical knowledge to help the lawyers and veterans pursue the most accurate claims, and also advised on medical diagnostic avenues. He has seen my suffering. I have brought him records, explained how the VA has bounced me around and around with no answers and he is absolutely amazed at the dysfunction within the VA and their inability to properly diagnose and provide medically competent care and proper diagnostic avenues for veterans. He referred me to this veterans clinic, which operates PRO-BONO (no cost to me) and I have had excellent results. They have helped me tremendously with filing claims, being my representative at my Board of Veterans Appeal Hearing, and handling really any task related to claims and things of that nature

On 5/13/2015 at 5:01 PM, Awesomer said:

From the research I had done over the years, Gulf-War syndrome/fibromyalgia syndrome has been thought to be attributed to experimental flu-shots they had been inoculating the troops with in preparation for deployment to the Middle-East. I actually served 2 one-year long tours on the DMZ in Korea and never actually went to combat. However, we were prepared for rapid-deployment at that time in '91, meaning we all had our shots and we were ready to go. The suspected toxic chemical thought to be responsible was "Squalene MF59".

I joined in November 2005. I was given a slew of vaccines in Basic. When I got to my first unit, I received my "pre-deployment" vaccines which included smallpox. I had a terrible reaction to the smallpox, resulting in MULTIPLE peritonsillar abscesses and tonsillar surgical intervention. Whole body ached, joints, everything. Anthrax vaccine was, at this point, "voluntary." Deployed 2006-2007.

Deployed again in Iraq 2008, "Anthrax" vaccine was now made by the DoD to be "MANDATORY" (y'know, 'cause of all the anthrax related deaths over the years) and I was threatened by my leadership, after I refused to take it, with the usual "general order #1, you're our property. If you don't take this, you'll just go to jail." Which in hindsight, would've been a much better alternative. A few years in jail or a lifetime of disability? Mid-tour, I develop chronic inflammation. Wrists won't work to do pushups, costochondritis in my chest so bad that I could hardly use my left arm and literally felt my ribs grinding on my sternum.

Late 2008 deployment, we get a new "SNIFFABLE" flu-shot. I refused again. I get told the same "get stuck or go to jail" shpeel. I am less than 1 year from getting out, so I take it. I develop whole-body stiffness and tension. I have never before felt such pain and agony in my body. I could hardly put my boots on my feet I had such intense pain. This lasted for about 8-9 days, gradually lessening in intensity, however, I am never the same physically. Before this deployment, I never had an ache or pain in my body. I never knew what "knee pain" was or would wake up every morning with my arms numb and tingling. 

After I got out, I made so many excuses for my failing health. I was only 22, so of course, I thought I could "get better" by listening to my doctors and doing things that would help me. I had knee pain, wrist pain, shoulder pain, hip pain.. feet were so tender I simply cannot walk more than 2 minutes on my bare feet. Physical therapy didn't work. The more I did, the more tired I would become. I would work on my car, lets say, replacing a starter.. only to be left completely debilitated for the next 2-3 days.. couldn't use my hands properly because they were so "sore" and "weak". I constantly had to tell my young wife that I couldn't do things because I was tired, sore, and weak. The weakness is the absolute worst I think. Pain sucks, but being physically unable to hold a wrench without my hand "giving out" or being able to lift something because my muscles just won't work right is a huge huge problem for me. Mowing the lawn cripples me. I just turned 30 last month.

I am close to being 100%, but the closer I get, the more "real" being disabled becomes. I am 30. I still have dreams of what I want to be "when I grow up" y'know? But really, my life is symptom management. I probably will never be able to own a boat or go on a family vacation to Hawaii and go surf with my boys on such a low fixed-income. It doesn't matter that it's tax free and all that garbage. I never wanted to be on benefits, and I still don't. I would much rather be PHYSICALLY ABLE. What good is money if you can't enjoy it? Even if I had 300 million, it wouldn't change my damaged physiology. I wanted to be a role model for my children and family, not living a cursed life.

Edited by OIFMedic

I was just diagnosed by a rheumatologist with fibro on 22 March and have filed my claim. I was deployed to the UAE in 1998 and Saudi in 2000 so my claim is presumptive. I did not have my Dr fill out any paperwork for me since a nexus is not necessary for a presumptive claim, however part of my documentation does show a neck injury while on one of these deployments. Ebenefits says I should get my results in June or July. 

Oh, I also made sure to include proof of my 6 anthrax vaccinations.

Edited by AFgal
typo

On 7/17/2017 at 10:49 AM, OIFMedic said:

I wanted to be a role model for my children and family, not living a cursed life

Unfortunately, you are going to have to do that with the cards you have been dealt. Sounds like you have a wife and kids and a family. Some don't have that. Perhaps you can look into things you can do and try not to dwell too much on things you can't. 

I think I know how you feel. I didn't join until I was 22. By the time I got out at 27 I had an injured neck and back that VA has fought me tooth and nail for going on over 30 years. It is really hard to cope with feeling like doing the easiest and simplest thing, working on your vehicle or mowing the yard, is going to screw you up for a couple of days. 

Keep putting one foot in front of the other. Best of luck in your journey.