VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trouble Getting Pain Medicine

Rate this topic

Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone else been having trouble getting pain meds or narcotic meds from VA, since

1-2012 my primary doctor was telling me I had to take a drug test to get my meds I refuse there test and was told it is VA policy

not to give narcotic pain pills without a drug test. This all started after I told the Dr I smoke a little pot to help for pain,bad move he

didn't like that at all.Then I ask him to write an opinion for me,couldn't do that. I cant work no where,why do you need a drug test if

I am telling you I smoke waste of money and I have nothing to hide and its not your business.

I ask for a new doctor & had my first appointment today with her, a young pretty Indian lady like fresh out of school but she wrote

the prescription for the narcotics pain meds with no problem and is willing to write the opion I need. If you are having trouble with

a doctor you might want to try getting a new dr that is willing to work with you. She even says its known that pot help with pain and

is no reason for not giving me pain meds. Every doctor is different than the other just thought i would share this with you. Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tmoe,

You might not recall signing a Pain Med Agreement - I'm figuring the urine tests are to ensure you're taking the pills and not selling them.

You're also not allowed to self-medicate (pot) while getting pills from the VA.

So, I don't think you have much of a case with this. Sorry.

You are not alone.. all I ever seem to get from the va is Motrin or some other useless medication. I have never been asked to sign a contract with the va but if they would give me the pain meds I would sign the silly thing.. I am actually considering a move to a state that allows weed to be used as medication... eventually every state will be prescribing weed for pain ... and it will be very easy to get it compared to other meds....

tmoe,

You might not recall signing a Pain Med Agreement - I'm figuring the urine tests are to ensure you're taking the pills and not selling them.

You're also not allowed to self-medicate (pot) while getting pills from the VA.

So, I don't think you have much of a case with this. Sorry.

Maybe you misunderstood something I got 90 hydrocodone Thursday from my first visit

so what I was saying its all up to the doctor also I 'M not in pain management had 5 years of that never sign no contract or never will

I just feel it not their business (just my thought not saying I am right in any way) I am unemployable so what else can i do I take to much medicine

to drink and i dont like pills but i have no choice. If you get a good doctor he will take care of you try it I did and so far so good. I have not got pain

pills from VA since last year when they ask me to test I wouldn't so my doctor say he was not going to give me any pills so what you were the one put

me on them so keep it. Meds cause more problems to my health than the good I was getting from them side effects cause problems. jmho

Edited by tmoe

You are not alone.. all I ever seem to get from the va is Motrin or some other useless medication. I have never been asked to sign a contract with the va but if they would give me the pain meds I would sign the silly thing.. I am actually considering a move to a state that allows weed to be used as medication... eventually every state will be prescribing weed for pain ... and it will be very easy to get it compared to other meds....

Teac, you might need to do what I did find one willing to work for you and actually help you its only a few but there is some out there that don't have to

use google for your symptoms smile.png I was told that some people actually get pot from VA (this came from some workers at the medical center) I just dont

know any who does and no one is telling.smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem getting a prescription for Pain Medication as well. I have chronic upper back pain, ongoing for about 7-8 years now, service related.

I wasn't told of a drug test, which wouldn't bother me because I don't do any drugs, just drink sometimes.

I WAS told however, that they do NOT prescribe opiate pain medications at ALL. And the best they can do is Motrin. This was at the VA in JP Massachusetts.