VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Antidepressant

Rate this topic

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question- I dont take any meds so can't help there but this is the 1998 NAMI statement on Celexa:

http://www.nami.org/Content/ContentGroups/..._Depression.htm

And here is the Lawsuit info:

celexa and birth defects:

http://www.nami.org/Content/ContentGroups/..._Depression.htm

and here is the updated info on this med from the FDA:

http://www.fda.gov/cder/consumerinfo/druginfo/celexa.htm

All meds have potential counterindications- the VA is not too swift in picking up on them all-

what I mean is some of your meds could react negatively with other meds you take-

I feel that the internet has made it very easy for a veteran to check info on their meds on line-

and to look out for any side affects which are severe-

Also- if you meds come in mailers check out the name on them and compare them to the last supply-

the PDR has pictures of what they should look like- in color-

they sent my husband another vets meds-I found this out when the coroner asked me to read the info on the meds labels-

the other vet- they refused to give him his meds-he was telling them the truth -he never got his meds in the mail- they sent them here, my husband had a visual impairment and he took the other vets meds-

This error was not a cause of his death-however-

VA medicsal team in WAshington stated Rod's prescription should have been the dosage this vet was getting and that Rod's prescription have been totally inaffective for years as well as contraindicated by another VA med-that did contribute to his death- that was VA -prescribed Sudafed-Pseudoephedrine

Thank you, those web sites are very helpful. I am on day two of my medicine and it is kind of dragging me down. The doctor told me to expect this and said it should only take a couple of weeks of this. She also said that it will take 4 - 6 weeks for it to build up in my system before I get the full effect.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anybody here been prescibed Celexa. My prescription is 20mg, first week half tablet and then full 20mg. Just wondering if anyone could share their expereince with this drug.

I was taking the medication citalopram for depression, I too started out on a low dose. The VA shrink kept wanting me to increase the dosage I was going up to 30mg daily. It was making me more argumentative like I was 20 years ago (I have mellowed allot) In my situation 30 mg is like 60 mg. because I have severe cirrohsis of the liver, in fact I have less than 10% left and its wasting.

I was doing OK I thought on the first batch of celexa (citalopram) but the VA switched Manufacturers to another pill which was purple and coated. The original pill was white and coffin shaped. The Shrink gave me several choices to consider taking, I looked them all up and I have decided not to take any of them, infact Im going to just be depressed in the real world, at least I know what to accept!! and what to expect.

Arch

I have only been taking the medicine for 1 1/2 weeks now. The first week it wore my butt out. I did read the warnings and knew that there was a chance I would be more depressed and irrititable, so I knew to look out for signs that I was about ready to go off. It helped a lot. Hopefully, in the long run it will smooth out