VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help With Chronic Service Connected Pain Issues.

Rate this topic

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

Had an appointment with an endocrinologist today for the first time, they want to check out a cyst on my thyroid gland that they discovered on an MRI of my neck...

Well, the Doc had called me early this morning while I was driving my girlfriend to work (damn car trouble) and asked if I was going to be able to make it today, I told him yes, but I would be cutting it close due to the fact I was giving my GF that ride to work. He said ok, but to call if I was going to not make it.

I tried calling to reschedule because I knew I was running late and was put on hold for 5 minutes, so I hung up because I was thinking I'd still make it in time.

I pulled into the VA parking lot, and parked at 10:35, which is when my appointment was scheduled, after making the march up to the building (because we all know VA parking lots are always jam packed and you end up parking a mile away) and locating the correct office, I was now 7 minutes late. I checked in and the nurse informed me that the Doctor had left already because he had other things to do. He left a few tests behind that I needed to get done (various bloodwork) and a number to call to set up another appt formore imaging scans.

I finish the labs and go to get my travel pay... they informed me that the Doctor had cancelled my appointment and that I couldn't get my travel pay. I go back to the office and tell them that that is absurd, and see if they could un-cancel it, since I did show up and had the labs done, they said nope. So I lost out on my $22 worth of travel pay.

Ughhhg. Just getting more and more fed up as the days go by. I realize being late was my own fault, but they should have called me before the Doctor decided to vanish from the hospital... I mean, they are the first ones to bitch me out if I miss an appointment and don't call, when it's really no skin off their back, but when I drive 55 miles to get to my appt and it's cancelled without so much as a courtesy call it's not their fault.

Carlie:

Do you mean with my request for detective work on the problem?? I know the Doctors know best in most instances, I just like to get some extra knowledge on possible issues so I can bring other stuff to their attention, that's how I got all the GI stuff done, was because I had researched and found out that there is a possibility that back pain can be caused by the gall bladder and stuff, and since I have issues with acid reflux that it might be worth investigating further, the Doctor actually agreed with me and ordered the tests.

Edited by LivingInPain0341

Carlie:

What do you mean? He certainly did not give a courtesy call. The call he made to me made to mention that he was leaving the second the clock struck 10:35, and he easily could have said that... and I specifically informed him that I was cutting it close due to my morning routine. All he said was "will you be making it today?" No phone call was made after that. And my phone call was just put on hold.

And yes, it was just a bad day. I'm still thankful for the idea of free health care from the VA, because I know all these tests would be thousands of bucks, but it doesn't mean my patience knows know limits.

Carlie:

What do you mean?

He certainly did not give a courtesy call.

The call he made to me made to mention that he was leaving the second the clock struck 10:35,

and he easily could have said that...

Living

The call above was a courtesy call - Dr's DO NOT usually make any type of call like this

whether it be civilian private practice or VAMC. If you're thinking this is the norm - it isn't.

and I specifically informed him that I was cutting it close due to my morning routine.

Apparently you arrived late and it doesn't sound like the appointment had

been scheduled spur of the moment. Just about all VAMC's are known to be parking lot

hell, on a regular basis.

If every vet that is scheduled for an appointment has a bad day and arrives a bit late, by

the end of the day - some won't be seen.

I'm not trying to knock you here, just saying I too have been late and I screwed up

their schedule by being late. Too bad for us that on the specific day we were late

our Dr. was actually on time, which is also a bit unusual : - )

All he said was "will you be making it today?"

No phone call was made after that.

You had already been called.

And my phone call was just put on hold.

And yes, it was just a bad day. I'm still thankful for the idea of free health care from the VA, because I know all these tests would be thousands of bucks, but it doesn't mean my patience knows know limits.

The only thing I know of to help prevent this from happening again is to leave a couple of hours

early for your appointments. I surely would not be thinking my Dr's. or clinics will be calling me

with any heads up on my appointments.

JMHO

All I meant was that the Dr. did call, apparently he knew he was going to leave as the clock struck 10:35, but he did not say that, he just asked basically if I knew I had an appointment, and if I was planning on making it or not... I told him that I did plan on it, but was going to cut it close, due to having to drive the opposite direction to drop my girlfriend off at her job, then start heading towards the VA. Had he told me, "Look, I have places to be and need to leave at 10:35 on the dot (which doesn't make sense, because that was when the appt was scheduled to begin, and he was already out of the building by 10:45) so if you might be late at all, let's just reschedule... he made no indication that he would be leaving. I assumed that since the appt was scheduled to begin at 10:35, and we all know appts never actually start when they say, that I probably had at least a 30-45 minute window of his time scheduled for my appointment.

Anyhow, I was simply venting, as it was very frustrating. And to lose out on my travel pay was unexpected as well.

Update: Got the Gabapentin yesterday, 3x 300mg capsules a day as needed... so not sure if I have to take all of them everyday or what. I have definitely noticed drowsiness and kind of a 'heavy' feeling for my whole body when I take it... haven't yet had the guts to try and do some physical activity, but I'll try and take a brisk walk tomorrow if the weather cooperates and see how I fare.