VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Inthewind

Question

I know this has more then likely been discussed several times in the past, but I'm putting it out there because it's my current experience as I'm living it. Trying to keep it all in one place by adding to other threads that discuss this topic is somewhat frowned upon, which is why I'm starting this one.

Synopsis of my process so far:

Initial award: 50% in 2004 for a laundry list of things typical to a 25 year Army career of jumping, deploying, sleeping on rocks, not sleeping, not eating, stressing etc, etc, etc.

I was in the middle of a bunch of life changes so didn't appeal anything. Bad decision on my part. I would recommend appealing if you feel you didn’t receive the outcome you deserve. Don’t wait and re-file or request increases like I did.

Fast forward to 2010: As we age, our "100% more abused then the average citizen" bodies are on a fast deterioration...and it was becoming evident that my days are numbered to continue at the pace I am now, or was. So I filed for increases in several areas and added a couple. I'd like to believe that's why my claim sat idle for almost 2 years, but...my C&P's were done in July 2012. All paperwork/documentation was in and final in December 2010. So, what was happening (Other than collecting Houston VARO dust) from Oct 2010 to July 2012, is an unknown. Maybe it had to do with it being an election year?? Who knows...

Anyway, a quick rundown:

• Second claim opened: 10/08/2010

- I received 3 notifications via mail (Other then the C&P notifications) between Oct 2010 and 1 February 2012 telling me that they were still working on my claim. After that, I received nothing until the C&P notifications.
    - eBenefits stayed in "Gathering Evidence" until August 2012.
    - April 2012: I said enough is enough. I contacted my Congressman. They said they were glad to take this on. They sent a letter to the VA inquiring into the status in early May. - Nothing changed. Early June, I contacted the Houston RO and got hung up on three times.
    - C&P exams (2) done in July 2012.
    - August 2012: eBenefits back and forth’s from "Gathering of Evidence" to "Review of Evidence".
    • Second claim closed: 09/01/2012

- Found 100% P&T.
      - Received partial retro deposit before I got the brown envelope in the mail.
      - Packet received about 6 days after eBenefits showed closed. My AB8 and commissary letter showed 100% on 1 September 2012 with an effective date of 1 September 2012 but the retro amouont was in line with an effective date of 1 November 2010.
      - Partial retro paid: 09/06/2012 (~40% of total) (If you are a "For time" retiree and under CRSC/CRDP, the VA withholds a majority of the retrospective payment to allow DFAS (Defense Finance and Accounting Service) time to do an audit of your pay to make sure you don't owe them or they don't owe you. If you owe them, they get their cut straight out of the retro payment. If they owe you, they pay up and it's reflected in your Retiree Account Statement (RAS) in MyPay.
      - No contact from anyone, in any way, about anything, concerning the remainder of my retro. I did a lot of digging on the forums here and gleaned some good information, but it was scattered and none of it was consistent.
      • Authorization Review Claim opened: 10/17/2012

- Asked questions here and had several different answers. Still not sure what this type of claim is.
        - Contacted DFAS on 20 September 2012 and they told me that the retro was under audit, call back for more info in a week or two. Called them back on 3 October and was told the DFAS audit was completed on the 29th. They then BATCH them and send them back to the VA once a month on the 15th. Some say it's the 19th but mine was back at the VA on the 15th of October.
        - DFAS paid out the CRSC difference in my current retired pay on 10/16/2012. (Too bad the VA can't process payments as fast as DFAS!)

• Authorization Review Claim closed: 11/16/2012

[*]Retired Pay Adjustment claim opened: 10/17/2012 (**Note: This didn't even show up on eBenefits until the 16th of November, after it was already closed!)

- This can have to do with a couple of actions. 1. The DFAS audit and CRSC/CRDP difference (**But that was paid out the day before this claim was opened) or 2. The final retro payment after the audit by DFAS and the review by the VA (Signatures) due to the amount of the retro, which is >$25K.

[*]Retired Pay Adjustment claim closed: 11/16/2012

Another thing: My AB8 (Benefit Verification) letter effective date also changed from 1 September 2012 to 1 December 2011, which of course has me curious. Is this the actual date of the most recent payment adjustment to 100%? Or, in other words, the last time COLA was adjusted?

Remaining retro received 11/19/2012.

Hope this timeline helps reduce someone else’s stress!

Edited by Inthewind

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet