VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any Advice?

Rate this question

armyvet2010

Question

Hello everyone.I was wondering if i can get some helpful advice on how to have a successful claim.I have filed for PTSD,depression,anxiety,and mental condition.Here's a summary if what happened:

I enlisted in the Army in 2006 and while stationed in Texas in 2007, i was seen in the ER and was sent for a referral at the R&R center on base for what was going on. They was saying that i was going through depression and anxiety with being home sick and relationship issues all while in the military.While i was deployed in 2008 in Afghanistan, I was sent to the hospital on my FOB to see a counselor about depression and anxiety AGAIN about being deployed (i was on a fob where we was always hit alot) and marital issues.I was also on convoy a few times a week,which cause me to also be fearful alot.When i got out in 2010,im still going through the same thing but worse.My anger is also real short, which was never an issue until i got into the military.I try to control it but it's always an issue and i can't control it.I was seeing a doctor at the St.Louis Va Hospital,but i no longer go there due to difficulty of getting to my appointments.I live about 35 minutes away from there.At the time he had me on setraline for depression for about 30 days.Im now seeing a private doctor at a local mental health clinic in my area and she prescribed me cyproheptadine (for nightmares) and put me back on sertraline (depression) since it did not work when a VA doctor prescribed it to me back in July.While at my appointment this past week,they made a diagnosis for major depressive disorder and PTSD.She wouldnt sign any DBQ's for me yet since I havent been there long enough,but they are going to send in my medical records to the Chicago Regional Office thats handling my claim.Is there anything I should do at this point?I had a VSO but when they was supposed to send in some paperwork work,the VA never received.Any advice would be helpful.Thanks.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Welcome, I wish you luck I've been where you are...You need to make sure you have and keep copies of your mental health treatment....Also for the VA to recognize your PTSD it MUST be diagnosed by a VA Psychiatist or Psycologist....I know it is a PITB but you really need to get back into the VA mental health system and see their docs and recieve medication from them...It took a years worth of Mental Health notes from my VA psychriatist with a diagnosis of PTSD/MDD (Major Depressive Disorder) and the records that I was attending a VA PTSD group at my local clinic for them to finally approve my claim..Previously they had consistently denied it stating that I did not have PTSD..Now the VA provides me with 3 antidepressants (one of which helps me sleep) and I see my shrink about every 3 months........To me the Mental Health side of the VA is probably the only thing with them that I think they are doing a really good job with, especially for me.......Also if you can get buddy statements from friends and family that state the difference from before you deployed and after your deployment to submit that will help also....I got one from my sister who is a nurse that I think really helped a lot...........Also try to get some from people that were deployed with you if you can testifying about your base getting hit a lot............These items will really help your claim.....................Good luck and I hope your claim comes out well, and Thank You for Your Service..................................Grid