VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Doctor Told Me Not To Drive

Rate this topic

I'M 100% TDIU AND I HAVE 3RD STAGE PARKINSON'S AND THE VA DOCTOR TOLD ME I SHOULDN'T BE DRIVING. I'M NOT HOUSE BOUND. IS THIS SMC QUALIFICATION'S. I CAN DRIVE TO TOWN AND BACK SAFELY, ABOUT 6 MILES ROUND TRIP. MY WIFE DOES ALL THE OTHER DRIVING. THIS IS PROBABLY A STUPID QUESTION.

GOD BLESS

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Warren, you know, there is no such thing as a stupid question. If there were, I would have many many stupid questions attached to my name.

Rockman's VA doc told him that he needed to turn in his drivers license and use it only for identification purposes only. He really did not care for that idea, but I think deep down inside he knew it was the best thing to do to keep us safe. That does not mean he liked it. I just kept telling him after 28+ years, he could sit back and relax and let me do the driving now. This way he could read if he wanted to and not worry about concentrating on the road.

You just have to do what is best for your family to remain safe. Just relax and enjoy riding with your wife!

God Bless you too!

Celia, Mrs. Rockman

• HadIt.com Elder

If a Doc told you not to drive it would probably be best not to until the Doc or another one said it is ok. There are far to many driving today that should not be. Unsafe for them and others on the road.

Reminds me of a joke " I want to die like my grandfather peacefully asleep and not like the people in his car screaming to get out."

Please do not be offended I am dealing with my wife who wants to drive, thinks she can drive but her Doc told her not to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

My doctors hasn't told me to stop driving, but I have almost no sight in the left eye, ( when I do have sight).. I do okay in the day time but my wife says I tend to drift right so my wife did ask me not to drive at night.. first I wear dark glasses all the time because of the damage to my left eye, and secondly I never did see well at night. If I had to stop driving completly it would break my heart as it is one of the few pleasures I still have. But... I if I felt I was a danger to others I would stop driving...I have an up coming eye exam in January and if my doctor even hints that I sould not drive at all, well I guess I will have a broken heart....

Most accidents happen within 5 miles from home where most people feel "comfortable" but in reality pay less attention to what they are doing.

teac, FYI I don't see as well at night as I do during the day. One night I was looking for an address in an unfamiliar part of town. The only glasses I had in the car were prescription lenses tinted yellow like "shooting glasses." I was startled with how much clearer everything was with the yellow tinted glasses. I could even see the license plates of on coming cars despite the headlight glare. Now I always use those glasses when I drive at night. I have no idea what so ever why the color would enhance the clarity. Also, I noticed WalMart has replaced their free "blood pressure machines" with a machine with a more comprehensive set of tests including a modified vision test--close/distant, night/day, left, right, and peripheral. Naturally, the machines try to sell you stuff, but you are not required to input any personal info to get the results.