VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dic Time Frame

john999

Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

From start to finish, all ducks in a row, and since at that time I was drawing Unemployment, I believe they put mine through as priority, well, it took 8 months, but, it was a true blessing to recieve all the back pay, burial benefits came about a week later...Good Luck, it is very un-nerving playing the waiting game...

• HadIt.com Elder

Considering the length of time DIC may take I created a special account for my wife for her to draw on if I croak suddenly. There is other money should could get at but it requires legal actions. You figure your spouse has got to handle your burial, pay bills and get hold of the financial strings of your ex-life. She/he "may" be in grief so make it easy for them I say. My wife has to get survivor benefit from my civil service job, SSA and the VA which is what pays the bills right now. That all stops when I turn up my toes. My father was a vet who died suddenly. My mother had to make a big adjustment in a hurry. The VA insurance helped a lot back in the 1950's. The SSA and VA did pitch in with money. She did not get DIC, but the VA did pay something to her on a monthly basis since she had three kids and he was a disabled vet from WWII. Without SSA and VA, including insurance, we would have been destitute.

John

John....I am now thinking you are right! I should write a Book on survivors benefits.....

I learned recently of a survivor's bennie I neglected to even apply for......

I contacted the VA Office o Survivors to get copy of the actual reg I need (it isnt on the VA web site) for a DIC article to write and put here...........There is SO much in this forum and often it needs to be repeated ...like the right to remarry after age 57 and retain DIC and, I think, many of the other survivor bennies.