VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Self Improvement Courses And 100% P&t

Rate this question

SolInvictus

Question

Happy holidays friends. I have a question concerning the possibility of attaining a law degree after 100% P&T not as a means of earning income, but as a means of self improvement and the accomplishment of childhood goals and aspirations that were truncated and scuttled due to debilitating war injuries. I'm legally blind among other disabilities and would like to reclaim a sense of who I was before my injuries. I'm not even at 100% yet but was nursing the prospect of earning this degree through online schooling or some other less intrusive and private medium. Do any of you good folks see a conflict here with federal and state laws or am I within my rights to reach as high as my talents can take me provided I make no income from this exercise? By the way I am on SSDI as well and I'm 29 years of age. Any advise would be most appreciated as always.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I think your safe, especially if you're considered legally bling. Being able to successfully attend classes, even online, doesn't equate to being able to work. I'd say go for it.

pr

Thanks as always for your prompt assistance. I thought as much and you're right, now I just have to figure out how to circumvent the prohibitive financial obstacle of attaining a JD degree.

"Thanks as always for your prompt assistance. I thought as much and you're right, now I just have to figure out how to circumvent the prohibitive financial obstacle of attaining a JD degree. "

I assume you already have a AA and a BA.

I have been a member of the MCA, Marine Corps Association since I went back to school.I am a civilian but they paid for all of my book fees at AMU (American Military University)

Also they paid for subscriptions to Marine Corps Gazette and Leatherneck because it was part of my degree path to do this required reading.

http://www.mca-marines.org/

I would check them out if I were you.........they might have some good direction.

Also my alma mater:

http://www.amu.apus.edu/

American Military University has many good law courses available .I think they just added Tort law.

Please Check us out.

In your case, you could look into Voc Rehab and/or gaining a Pell Grant (which I never considered as VA paid most of my tuition anyhow under Chap 35.)

But I dont know if a JD is appropriate for VA Voc Rehab to pay for. Best to check the VA Educational info at the main VA web site on that.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!in pursuing your goal!!!!!!