VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p W/of C-File

Rate this question

WhyMista

Question

So I had my comp and pen last summer and I recently got a copy of it and they didn't have my c-file and each doctor even mentioned that they held it for a week after requesting it.

On my ptsd I got a gaf of 60 including a diagnosis of alcohol abuse in partial remission.

The symptoms he listed were: anxiety, chronic sleep impairment, flattened affect, and difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships.

He said that if my stressors can be conceded then it is more likely than not that his ptsd was caused during military service based upon my getting hit with an ied and also sweeping a canal for the bodies of two of our Marines.

Also my claim for vertigo when I saw the doctor he mentioned that I was unable to properly touch my finger to my nose with my eyes closed and maintain balance without visual spatial awareness and that it is most likely due to a mtbi. I am waiting for Veterans Evaluation Service to schedule my comp and pen for that and when I last spoke to my vso he said they anticipated that mid February that they would have all evidence needed.

Since my c-file which has documentation about my being in an ied, doing casevacs etc if they still don't have it should I refuse to be seen till they have it?

Also I'm most likely going to be getting a IMO from a psychologist who works with many AD, reserve and veteran people especially with claims. My primary reason for doing that is that the few symptoms he listed aren't remotely close to all of them. Simply looking at the last year of my med recs would tell you that.

I'm just wondering if sending in an IMO now would end up backfiring in the event they were already giving me a favorable rating. If I wait and get 50 I would be ok with that but if I turn one in I don't want to be stuck waiting months and months its already been 20.

Thank

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Ah ok I understand.

It's just so odd how the va does things. Especially how they come to their diagnosis. Out of all the case studies I've read and done and how often I've heard "Must cause significant distress or impairment" I've never seen where someone is diagnosed in twenty minutes and there were not test, questionnaires etc given to analyze and give you a more scientific basis for your diagnosis.

I'm just wondering if sending in an IMO now would be prudent or detrimental in the sense of causing delays.

I went over the links. I think it's mainly just the fact that they just seem to operate in a way that would never be done in a private practice. Unless someone has a psychotic, personality or something like dementia its going to take more than a few questions to accurately diagnose them if for no other reason than to cover your own ass.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have had VA C&P doctors ask me:

1. Do you hear voices? No

2. Do you see things? No

3. Are you working? Yes

End of interview! 5 minutes. Date around 1980

My first VA interview did not even ask if I was working. I was in a VA rubber room. The doctor said "patient gets on well with other inmates".......10% disability for schizophrenia and depression. I was homeless and not working. Date 1973. The VA can and has been very, very bad to vets in the past and probably now and the future. It depends on orders from Congress about the budget. I never got a decent rating until I rehabilitated myself via private means and got IMO doctors to do reports for me. IMO's are crucial to many vets who don't appear crazy, but who are falling apart inside. In my case they just screwed another Vietnam vet for a lot of years.

John

"I'm just wondering if sending in an IMO now would be prudent or detrimental in the sense of causing delays."

Jbasser is right

"He is saying service caused your ptsd. Now if the RO plays ball and doesn't disregard his exam. you are in good shape."

Whymista said:

"I went over the links. I think it's mainly just the fact that they just seem to operate in a way that would never be done in a private practice. "

You bet and the C & P exam scenario is actually a conflict of interest and would never fly in the real world such as in a court of law.

"Unless someone has a psychotic, personality or something like dementia its going to take more than a few questions to accurately diagnose them if for no other reason than to cover your own ass."

Indeed.

The C & P exam scenario really has nothing to do with VA health care.

Good thing.

It's just so screwed up. I have found that the va hates almost always when a veteran is educated and knows what he/she is talking about. I've had them try to tell me things and I can point to the dsm and tell them it's impossible for you to come to a medical certainty, when you haven't even met the annoying must cause significant distress or impairment clause.

They have wanted to put me on meds and I'd tell why I wouldn't because this is all I do in school I'm trying to prepare myself for grad school.

We'll see how they decide to rate me hopefully by May. Supposed to have my tbi exam this month. I honestly think the fact that for the first ten minutes myself and the psychologist talked about psychology and going to grad school etc. He even mentioned that in his report.

At least my tbi exam should be very easy to get a decent rating. My migraines are well documented to occur at least twice most likely three times a week, then the ENT who examined me for vertigo said it wasn't that it was most likely a tbi and thus he couldn't form an opinion only a neurologist could.

"I'm just wondering if sending in an IMO now would be prudent or detrimental in the sense of causing delays."

Jbasser is right

"He is saying service caused your ptsd. Now if the RO plays ball and doesn't disregard his exam. you are in good shape."

Whymista said:

"I went over the links. I think it's mainly just the fact that they just seem to operate in a way that would never be done in a private practice. "

You bet and the C & P exam scenario is actually a conflict of interest and would never fly in the real world such as in a court of law.

"Unless someone has a psychotic, personality or something like dementia its going to take more than a few questions to accurately diagnose them if for no other reason than to cover your own ass."

Indeed.

The C & P exam scenario really has nothing to do with VA health care.

Good thing.

• HadIt.com Elder

You might just accept the meds and then make up your own mind about taking them. The VA thinks that a person is not really ill, sick or suffering unless they are on meds. They think meds cure everything including the problems that meds cause. I used to be on three pages of meds. I did cut it down ot about a page and a half.

John