VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Diagnosed Major Depression

Rate this question

TLaff

Question

I am diagnosed by VA mental health Doc with Major Depression secondary to GMC, axis I pain disorder with both Psychological factors and General Medical Condition, axis II deferred axis iii GERD, shoulder arthralgia, degeneration of cervical intervetebrae axis Iv chronic pain loss of functioning axis V GAF 50-55

I have a claim in for Major Depression,

Two questions are 1. I was diagnosed by VA Ment Health Doc, i take meds for depression, will i still get a C&P exam since it was a VA Doc that diagnosed me or will they just rate me???

2. Any idea what rating i should be looking to get???

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If someone experiences any psychotic symptoms they are not because of depression there is a comorbid condition. Bipolar people during mania can experience psychotic episodes. That is NOT because of depression. They may also have a psychotic disorder. There are no psychotic symptoms for depression. If anything depression causes negative symptoms which is to say it does the opposite of what positive symptoms do which causes an excess of a common emotion or act.

This is me> Major depressives often abuse alcohol and may kill themselves by accident by mixing pills and alcohol, i drink every day and my family worries i will kill myself by drinking and taking the wrong meds. I dont really want to drink but no matter who tells you (drinking does not get you good sleep) I say BULLSHIT it helps you get to sleep when your constantly in pain.

This is me> Major depressives often abuse alcohol and may kill themselves by accident by mixing pills and alcohol, i drink every day and my family worries i will kill myself by drinking and taking the wrong meds. I dont really want to drink but no matter who tells you (drinking does not get you good sleep) I say BULLSHIT it helps you get to sleep when your constantly in pain.

I went through the drinking to go to sleep thing for four years. Its hard to stop but I was glad that I never would mix pills and drink.

If your depression is that severe that you can't work, you're unable to basically function it should be close to what the highest %. It seems from the threads that I have that people get rated better for MDD than PTSD

• HadIt.com Elder

Whymista

You are wrong about depression not having some psychotic symtoms. Many severely depressed people have delusions of sin and worthlessness. They may also believe they are being punished by God. They may stop eating. I have been in psychotherapy for 40 years. I have seen many depressed people. I have known people with severe bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and all the rest. When people are no longer in contact with reality to the extent they may be a harm to themselves or others and cannot care for themselves that is psychosis. A lot of these disorders sort of bleed into each other. A vet with PTSD may also be psychotically depressed to the extent he/she may attempt suicide. There are not hard and fast rules about this stuff.

I am not wrong. Read the dsm-iv-tr. Depression does not nor ever has included psychotic symptoms. If someone has ptsd/bipolar I, schitzophrenia,or schitzoid PD they can have psychotic symptoms. However that has nothing to do with depression. It would be like you had a sinus infection and the flu. You wouldn't say your sinus infection caused your fever just because it started first. Psychotic symptoms are positive in nature. They are an excess of normal actions, thoughts or beliefs. Depression causes negative symptoms. It is the very opposite of psychotic symptoms. If you don't believe me go read the dsm and look up obsessive compulsive disorder and when it gets to differential diagnosese you'll see it states must not occur during and it will list the psychotic disorders. Depression is one of the simplest disorders on the planet besides maybe eating disorders in finding the etiology of it.

Whymista

You are wrong about depression not having some psychotic symtoms. Many severely depressed people have delusions of sin and worthlessness. They may also believe they are being punished by God. They may stop eating. I have been in psychotherapy for 40 years. I have seen many depressed people. I have known people with severe bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and all the rest. When people are no longer in contact with reality to the extent they may be a harm to themselves or others and cannot care for themselves that is psychosis. A lot of these disorders sort of bleed into each other. A vet with PTSD may also be psychotically depressed to the extent he/she may attempt suicide. There are not hard and fast rules about this stuff.

I was rated for depression for some God unknown reason along with a few other things. Oh, I know why... because they don't listen to me. I'm not depressed. I'm pessimistic at the moment. Depression would require strong emotions, which I do not have. The children can't understand this though, no matter how many times I explain that I can express some emotion, but I CANNOT feel it. I can feel one thing, and it is not pleasant, and it doesn't have a logical trigger. I've been depressed before, and yes, you can get delusional. Some people even require antipsychotics. A lot of times, people balance out with delusions of like aliens and stuff. Their delusions are weird but not usually violent. They hear voices a lot of times with people telling them they didn't clean their house right or anything else.

Don't hurt yourself. I've acquired numerous wounds from hurting myself that I regret, especially the head.

I was rated for depression for some God unknown reason along with a few other things. Oh, I know why... because they don't listen to me. I'm not depressed. I'm pessimistic at the moment. Depression would require strong emotions, which I do not have. The children can't understand this though, no matter how many times I explain that I can express some emotion, but I CANNOT feel it. I can feel one thing, and it is not pleasant, and it doesn't have a logical trigger. I've been depressed before, and yes, you can get delusional. Some people even require antipsychotics. A lot of times, people balance out with delusions of like aliens and stuff. Their delusions are weird but not usually violent. They hear voices a lot of times with people telling them they didn't clean their house right or anything else.

Don't hurt yourself. I've acquired numerous wounds from hurting myself that I regret, especially the head.

When you want to post please start a new topic.

Thanks