VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Tdiu

Rate this question

eganusn

Question

Got a question for anyone that might be able to answer it;

Why does a TDIU claim take as long, if not longer than a normal disability claim? For example, if a veteran meets the the basic criteria set by the VA, for example, someone already having met the minimum threshold of 60 to 70%, and can prove that the disability or disabilities obstruct one from being employed, I don't understand why it cannot be processed in a more timely manner.

I know as well as anyone here that the backlog is insanely high, but one would figure, that a TDIU claim can be processed a little quicker than most, especially since the vast majority that apply, meet the criteria set. And since the C-file already includes previous evidence as well as C&P or QTC exams that have already established disability, it looks like not that much more is needed, with the exception of attempting to access one's previous employers to establish corroborating evidence, as well as possibly considering P&T rating for said disability or disabilities.

Truly, if anyone at the VA had half a brain, why would you not make a more streamlined process for TDIU, and do them like they currently do Nehmer claims? I do not pretend to understand how the VA sets up certain claims, but it would make a lot of sense to have each VARO work specifically on these claims, like how a military "Tiger Team" would work on specific issues, which in theory would lessen the load on others.

What say the gurus here?

Edited by eganusn

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Why should a claim submitted for IU

be processed on a more advanced path

than that of an original claim or any claim

submitted for increase in evaluation?

To my knowledge - every claim gets in line.

TDUI claims have an "extra element" that delays. For example, the VA sends paperwork to your last employers. The Va does not have control of how fast, if ever, your old employer sends back in the completed paperwork.

You also need a "nexus" from the doc, in addition to your "regular" nexus. In other words, the doc needs to opine:

1. That you have a current diagnosis and, that it is related to military service AND ALSO

2. Your illness/injury is severe enough that you are unable to work.

*****AND****

The reason you can not work is due to SERVICE connected disabilities.

OR, The VA just likes to delay, and they are famous for it. They dont need an excuse. They have no time limit.

I've wondered the same thing.

It's pretty much a given that once a Vet applies for TDIU they are no longer working. I know I wasn't.

Thankfully we have savings that have carried us through the seven months it takes to get the first SSDI payment.

When I saw how long it is taking claims at my RO I was totally frustrated with the VA way of handling claims. You get in line and you wait. Do not depend on your VSO no matter how good he or she may be. And they sometimes get as frustrated as you. I agree with StreetWalker, if you have enough for SSDI go for it too. Nothing tried, nothing gained. Good luck, and thanks for your service.