VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lawerence1 - New Member - Help Needed

Rate this question

Lawrence1

Question

I have a SC of 50% for schrizophrenia and recently had to ask my PC provider an the VA for help with depression.The doctor sent me for evaluation and I was dx with a secondary problem of anxiety/depression.I had a P&C in October of 2012 and have a copy of it. I am seeing a med adjusting nurse and a therapist every other month for the last year .The meds are risperdone 1/2 of a .25 pill once a day and sertaline 1/2 of 50mg tab once daily.The meds cause different problems,the meds seem to fight depression for me except the meds take away some of the barriers that I have always been able to control.I have applied for a higher disability because of the anxiety/depression getting too much control of me last year.I would like to discuss the C&P results and any of the problems listed in it.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Welcome to hadit.com Lawrence1! If you want to discuss your C&P results...to obtain help from knowledgeable members...ask away. There are more then a few very knowledgeable elders and fellow vets that are here and willing to help or discuss things with you. If you could either scan or type as much info as possible from the C&P written report, it would assist them in answering any questions you may have. Just remember to leave out your identifying information (name, service number etc).

Are you working?

If not have you applied for SSDI (Social Security Disability Benefits)?

If you get SSDI now, is it solely for the schizophrenia and any secondarys directly from that?

Welcome aboard the ship....... as USMC 5811 said, if we can see or read VA's exact words, such as in a C & P exam or any decision, it helps us know what the next step could be..........

ph34r.png C&P results Diagonsis: #1: Schrizophrenia, residual type Axis {1} Diagnosis #2:Depressive Disorder NOS Axis {1} Axis IV- Psychosocial and enviormental Problems:Wife with bi-polar MH problems,minor dicipline at work fro absenteeism { sick leave and FMLA time} Axis#5 GAF score of 53. Does Vet have more than one MH disorder diagnosed ? {X}Yes Is it possible to differentiate? {Yes} Schrizophrenia- paranoia, affective flattening, minor disorganization of thought. Depressive Disorder NOS mixed anxiety/depression, frequent tearfullness, anhedonia, lower libido. TBI {No} {X} Occupational and social impairment in most areas.Symptoms: Suspiciousness, Depressed Mood, Flattened affect, Speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelvent.CURRENT MENTAL STATUS; Cooperative- open,SPEECH; Coherent,halting at times, verbose/rambling.MOOD; mild dysphoria AFFECT; flattened HALLUCINATIONS' none; thought process;grossly logical, some disorganization observed. PT endorsed paranoid thoughts; SUICIDAL THOUGHTS; denied.ORIENTED:x4. MEMORY;remote/intact.ATTENTION;poor to fair; JUDGEMENT;poor to fair; INSIGHT; poor to fair. REGARDING DX; the veteran meets DSM-IV criteria for a continuing dx of Schrizophrenia,Residual type,as paranoiac delusions,affective blunting,and disorganization of thought/speech still persist. In contrast to his most recent tx providers [whose GAFS indicated mild-moderate severity ] this examiner opines that the condition is of moderate severity in its negative impact on social/familial and occupational functioning for this veteran. The veteran also meets criteria for Depressive Disorder NOS [ mixed anxiety/depression] that per review of his records [including a discharge note indicating claim of depression ] is at least as likely as not secondary to his schizophrenia. Mood disorders i\often accompany psychoses, often in reaction to the social/career devastation psychotic disorders render..There is no evidence of any Axis II personality disorder, pr of any current DSM_IV substance abuse/dependence. While the veteran,s mental illness surely causes significant difficulities with work and family life, and he has little to no unproblematic social support, he is not currently judged to be unemployable based solely on his psychiatric status. I have held a job at a warehouse for the last 15 years.I kept away fron the VA MH system because of the 3 involuntary commitments for MH years ago.I have been going to the VA for about 4 years for Primary Care for prostate problems.MY PC doctor was unaware of my older MH problems so I left well enough alone until last year 2011. I stsrted getting depressed lare 2010 and got worse all of 2011 so in Jan oa 2012 I told my PC doctor about my depression She sent me to get an evaluation and it showed i NEEDED psy care and meds. Iam on 1/2 of 50mg of sertraline once a day , also 1/2 of .25 once a day of risperdol [ to take the edge off ] as the nurse says. I have wondering if I am on enough meds.ALso I wonder what results the C&P wil have on my ratings.

Edited by Lawrence1